cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Approved] Chase Sapphire Preferred EVEN if I don't travel???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

[Approved] Chase Sapphire Preferred EVEN if I don't travel???

Thanks for everyone's advice! I was approved for the 12k limit and I will keep the card active and try to switch it for the freedom before I have to pay the fee. There is no way I would be able to spend 4k in 3 months. That does not fit my lifestyle. Again, really the only reason I went for it is because of the guaranteed approval. It helps being able to downgrade with this card.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Get the Chase Sapphire Preferred EVEN if I don't travel???

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for everyone's advice! I was approved for the 12k limit and I will keep the card active and try to switch it for the freedom before I have to pay the fee. There is no way I would be able to spend 4k in 3 months. That does not fit my lifestyle. Again, really the only reason I went for it is because of the guaranteed approval. It helps being able to downgrade with this card.

If you cannot meet the SUB, why not apply for the freedom in a first place? 

I understand you had a pre-approval, but without being able to meet the SUB, no 0% intro, poor return on dining, no travel,  it seems like a wasted app. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was denied the freedom just over a week ago but they pre approved me for the sapphire preferred. Idk why. I figured I could get this card without another hard inq because they just got one from me. I locked all my reports and they tried to get exp. It was blocked, They approved me anyway
Message 3 of 12
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Surprised  Assuming you had the 60,000 UR offer, that's 16-17% back for every single dollar!  That only works out to $307.69 per week to hit the minimum spending and get that free $600.  Charge everything you normally pay for, and consider services like Plastiq to pay bills that you otherwise would pay with ACH or a check. 

Normally I would never advocate for spending outside of one's means, but just as an example, even if you had to splurge and buy yourself something nice for $500 to make the last bit of that $4,000, they're going to pay you $105 to take it.  LOL  Do you shop on Amazon?  If so, just add value to a gift card.

[Mod note: I've split the approval and subsequent replies to this new approval thread, and changed the title.  Feel free to edit the first post of this thread to change to something else if you prefer.  Congrats on your approval!]

Message 4 of 12
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 5 of 12
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Re: [Approved] Chase Sapphire Preferred EVEN if I don't travel???

Congrats on your approval but as others have stated, if you didn't foresee not hitting the SUB, I would have targetted another card. The Freedom UL is available too. If anything, as K-in-Boston said, charge everything you can to the card. Put all of your bills on auto-pay to that card, i.e. car payment, insurance, etc. If you can put $1,334 a month on the card, you'll hit the SUB. If not, as mentioned before, a couple gift cards can work too. Definitely something to think about and consider.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 6 of 12
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no way I would be able to spend 4k in 3 months.

14m9k5t

Rent:

Electric Bill:

Water Bill:
Cable Bill:

Phone Device Bill:

Phone Carrier Bill:

Streaming Service:

Car Insurance:

Gasoline:

Groceries/Costco:

Restaurants/Convenience stores:

Movies/Movie Snacks:

Console/Computer Games:

Clothes:

Furniture:

Events (New Years/Concert):

House Parties (BYOB):

If you're able to pay with a VISA credit card to any of the above listed, input your monthly spend for each and multiply the total by 3. As mentioned before, any remaining amount needed to be spent, invest in Amazon/retail gift cards that you could use in the future.

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. AS everyone else has said don't put that 600 bucks in Chase's pocket.  use that card for everything and pay it off multiple times a month if you are afraid of seeing a high bill at the end of the month. Go out with your friend and use your card and have your friends give you the cash. Or see if any family members are going to make a big cash purchase and just put it on your card and get the cash from them. Plenty of ways to hit that SUB. Good luck my friend.  

Message 8 of 12
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Surprised  Assuming you had the 60,000 UR offer, that's 16-17% back for every single dollar!  That only works out to $307.69 per week to hit the minimum spending and get that free $600.  Charge everything you normally pay for, and consider services like Plastiq to pay bills that you otherwise would pay with ACH or a check. 

Normally I would never advocate for spending outside of one's means, but just as an example, even if you had to splurge and buy yourself something nice for $500 to make the last bit of that $4,000, they're going to pay you $105 to take it.  LOL  Do you shop on Amazon?  If so, just add value to a gift card.

[Mod note: I've split the approval and subsequent replies to this new approval thread, and changed the title.  Feel free to edit the first post of this thread to change to something else if you prefer.  Congrats on your approval!]

Maybe OP is on a budget

Maybe OP doesnt feel comfortable spending that much

Maybe OP doesnt have a job that reimburses expensives

Maybe OP's spouse is unemployed atm

There are hundreds of reaons why someone might feel uncomfortable charging $4000

OP stated at the very beginning their goals for this card. IMO, it is certainly not a wasted app.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 12
drave199
Established Member

Sorry to just jump in but Chase will just let people switch cards? I just want them to increase my credit line haha

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.