Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved, Credit Score Inconsistent?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved, Credit Score Inconsistent?

So i am rebuilding after chapter 7 in June. Just got approved for a Capital One Platinum at $300 :-)

I currently have a quicksilver one at $500 and a Kohls card at $300. CapOne have been kind to me and i have stuck with them. About to get the steps increase on the QS1.

Enrolled with Experian which i check religiously, according to them i am at 595 fico 8. I just got my credit builder/secured loan today and they pulled my credit (even though it gets automatically approved ahh) and according to SunWest Credit Union i am at 623???? Confused on what is accurate, hopefully the CU HAHA. Any input?

Currently with 3 revolving and now as of today one installment. Time to start rebuilding. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved, Credit Score Inconsistent?

Congratulations and good luck on your journey.

The truth is, they can both be right. There are 3 credit bureaus that can be pulled from for a credit score, Equifax, experian, and transunion. Then, these are further broken down into many different versions of fico scores(we will ignore fako scores here) namely industry specific versions. So for example, your fico 8 may have fico8 auto score, standard score, credit card score, etc. Also many lenders use "mortgage scores" which are older. So there's like dozens of numbers that could be considered scores.

Also, did you get 2 different capital one cards in less than 6 months? That may be an important data point for others, it has recently been a 1 per six months rule.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!

Could be another version of FICO score (there are 48-50 that are in use). It could also be another type of score entierly (Vantage Score or a proprietary scoring system).

Additionally, they could also pull information from Equifax or TransUnion, which may have different information than what is in your Experian file. This will lead to a different score, even if the same scoring system is used, if the information the file contains is different.

Q: What was the scale provided with the score? (i.e. 300-850) And what was the bureau they pulled?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only 3 factors go into a FICO score:  The scoring model, the bureau data used and the time at which these first 2 factors were used. 

If you're seeing different scores, 1 or more of the 3 factors above are different.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does say they pulled Experian which is why i was wondering why the difference. Not sure which one I see as being as 595, probably the standard Fico 8 as it is the score on my dashboard when I login to Experian. If I want the Fico auto I have to go into different tabs.

I got the QS1 before discharge, after filing so had it 6 months. One day after the six month period I applied for the platinum. But I did get the Kohls about a month before platinum so that would have been before 6 months from QS1. Not sure if a Cap1 backed store card counts towards the 6 month rule?
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know it was Experian they pulled but not sure what the scale was.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.