cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved: First Hawaiian Bank and SRI FCU cards!

tag
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

Approved: First Hawaiian Bank and SRI FCU cards!

I applied for two cards around July 20-ish and was approved (sort of for the SRI card):

1. First Hawaiian Bank Priority Destinations World Elite MC - $7,500 S/L

Georestricted to Hawaii, Guam, and CNMI residents AFAIK. I'm usually on the "getting shafted" side of georestrictions (no Chase, CapOne, US Bank, Barclay's, etc.), so I'm happy to be on the other side for once. Smiley LOL

It's a $50 AF card, SUB worth $700 when redeemed for travel, 2 Loungekey passes/yr, Purchase Protection/Extended Warranty, Auto CDW, $1M Travel Accident, Lost/Delayed Baggage, Trip Can.... Lots of people around here shoot for the United WE MC card instead of this one, but I don't fly United much and it comes with similar benefits for a higher AF and less points.

APR 16.99% variable (as of 6/1/22), FT Fee 0%, BT Fee 5%, CA Fee 5%

2. SRI FCU Gold2 Visa - $500 S/L

I was approved for this card as a counteroffer for my real application.

APR 9.90% fixed, FT Fee 0%, BT Fee 0%, CA Fee 0% (BT Fee is 3% during the 0% APR intro period)

It should come with pretty much the full suite of Visa travel benefits, but there is no Guide to Benefits anywhere. CSRs say the website disclosures are correct but I'm just not sure that ALL of their Visas carry the max benefits usually provided only on upper tier Signature cards. It could be that they do, and that they are just a rockstar CU, but I'd just feel more assured if I see an actual Guide to Benefits (I haven't received the physical card yet).

I hope to build a little bit of internal history with them, get some CLI, and re-apply for their Platinum Visa, which is supposed to come with APR 5.75% variable (whatever is Prime Rate + 1% -- I know, amazing, right?), same 0% fees, and the same benefits. This is the ultimate low-rate card that is also a really good travel card, IMO, so I hope to get it one day and am willing to wait years if that's what it takes! The Gold2 that they approved me for is great, too, but this one is wow.

I do think that, being a small, low-rates CU, SRI is on the cautious side when it comes to new members. My recent approvals have been $10k Visa, $10k CLI, $500 Visa (SRI), and $7.5k MC.

DPs:

EQ 770-ish on Experian website when FHB pulled for card app.

EX 770-ish on Experian website when SRI FCU pulled for membership.

Income: peanuts plus lots of overtime

Revolving util: Total under 1%, no card over 10%

Installment util: About 65% left on 30k personal loan

Starting Scores: No Scores (03/2018)
Current Scores: 779 - 789 (08/2023)
Goal Scores: 780 across the board

Current Total Credit Limit: $109,900 (08/2023)
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Approved: First Hawaiian Bank and SRI FCU cards!

Congratulations on your approvals!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 2 of 11
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

Georestricted to Hawaii, Guam, and CNMI residents AFAIK. I'm usually on the "getting shafted" side of georestrictions (no Chase, CapOne, US Bank, Barclay's, etc.), so I'm happy to be on the other side for once. Smiley LOL

Those banks don't offer cards in Hawaii? I'm surprised. But congrats on the two cards! Though I'm not surprised a small credit union doesn't have the full VISA guide to benefits online. But CUs do tend to offer a lot of network benefits, so it's definitely worth checking when the paperwork arrives.

Message 3 of 11
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

Those banks don't offer cards in Hawaii? 

Thanks.

I'm in the CNMI. Those banks (and a few other big ones too) above don't want US territory residents as customers. Well, Chase does, but only has 3 of the 5 territories on their states list. I send a tweet or an email once in awhile to get them to add us and American Samoa, but nothing has happened so far. 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymalous
Valued Contributor

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

@Anonymalous wrote:

@Cookiegrabber wrote:

Those banks don't offer cards in Hawaii? 

Thanks.

I'm in the CNMI. Those banks (and a few other big ones too) above don't want US territory residents as customers. Well, Chase does, but only has 3 of the 5 territories on their states list. I send a tweet or an email once in awhile to get them to add us and American Samoa, but nothing has happened so far. 

Then double congratulations, because it must be tough finding nice cards. I've had to deal with some of the insular weirdness in Guam and Puerto Rico, and the CNMI is even smaller.

Message 5 of 11
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your First Hawaiian Bank Cc it's a great travel Cc. 

Message 6 of 11
Cookiegrabber
Regular Contributor

Thank you, guys, I appreciate the congratulations. Smiley Happy

I am happy about both approvals. Despite the SRI card's $500 limit, it's a foot in the door, at least, and the FHB card is my first World Elite level card.

@Anonymalous wrote:

Then double congratulations, because it must be tough finding nice cards. I've had to deal with some of the insular weirdness in Guam and Puerto Rico, and the CNMI is even smaller.

Thanks, it's always nice to see someone who's been around these parts!

Message 7 of 11
firefox100
Valued Contributor

Congratulations nice going and enjoy that nice weather you guys have.

Message 8 of 11
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your First Hawaiian Bank & SRI FCU approvals

Message 9 of 11
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

WooHoo!  Congratulations on both of your approvals!! 🎉🍾🥂

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.