Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved NFCU then Chase bit me

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved NFCU then Chase bit me

Well I finally got my total utilization to just under 35%, paid off all but 3 cards and rather than wait for my NFCU secured rewards to graduate in August I applied for my 2nd card last night and was instantly approved with a $6,800 starting line. Absolutely thrilled! I LOVE them! So I go online to Chase... and the sobs cut my line by almost 50%. this morning. I went from 4K down to 2,400. I have been with them for 7 years, never been late, always paid more than minimum but always carried a balance. If the **bleep** card wasn't so old I'd freaking pay them off and close them. I am SO peeved. I could see if I had any negatives but I don't. Scores are below as of today. Oh yeah and after paying off Walmart which was just $104.00 EX dropped my score. WTH? I think I'm just going to ride with Navy and close everyone else. This trying to bring scores up is insane. It seems you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Thankfully Navy appreciates their members.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved NFCU then Chase bit me

Congrats on your approval!

Message 2 of 28
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 3 of 28
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 4 of 28
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about Chase, they are interested in money, money, money only not you, CUs are much better cards to have as you own part of them. Grats on the NFCU card Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 28
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well I finally got my total utilization to just under 35%, paid off all but 3 cards and rather than wait for my NFCU secured rewards to graduate in August I applied for my 2nd card last night and was instantly approved with a $6,800 starting line. Absolutely thrilled! I LOVE them! So I go online to Chase... and the sobs cut my line by almost 50%. this morning. I went from 4K down to 2,400. I have been with them for 7 years, never been late, always paid more than minimum but always carried a balance. If the **bleep** card wasn't so old I'd freaking pay them off and close them. I am SO peeved. I could see if I had any negatives but I don't. Scores are below as of today. Oh yeah and after paying off Walmart which was just $104.00 EX dropped my score. WTH? I think I'm just going to ride with Navy and close everyone else. This trying to bring scores up is insane. It seems you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Thankfully Navy appreciates their members.

Banks are tightening up lending due to the economy. The same thing happened in '09, and i had most of my card's limits slashed also. During that time my scores were in the high 600s, and my income was less than half what it is now, with also a much shorter credit history obviously.

I understand your frustration, but that's no reason to close the cards and hurt your scores further by losing that utilization padding. Also, your limits will likely go back up if you request CLI's once all this blows over. Just hold on for the crappy ride.

|  
Message 6 of 28
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the NFCU approval and it might be time to sock drawer Chase for some time.  Just my opinion!

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

It will be a long time before Chase gets any use from me.  LOL

Message 8 of 28
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

That's the thing, I don't worry about or chase scoring anymore. I'm not applying for another mortgage anytime soon and a low interest rate on a car is a dime a dozen. I just pay bills on time, keep my credit debt low, and avoid negatives. My scores go up minimally, but usually not, get increases here and there, but I'm done chasing 800. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 9 of 28
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your NFCU approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.