Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved. No SSN, No ITIN, No US Credit History

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved. No SSN, No ITIN, No US Credit History

Hello,

First of all, thank you everybody on Myfico for posting great info. I have been learning on the forum for a long time.

I'm not a US resident so I do not have SSN nor ITIN. Both Amex and Citi just approved my application.

Citibank - I opened a checking account with Citi mid 2014 and have been getting some direct deposits. Tried to apply for a secured card early 2015 but was denied.

I went back to the US last month (Mar 16) and visited the branch. The banker said it was possible to get a credit card, not a secured card without SSN/ITIN. I applied for Simplicity. The banker was a bit worried as I didn't have many direct deposits past 3 months. Balance was around 20k.

A week later I received SMS from Citi wanting to discuss my app but I was in the meeting so I called a bit later and the reference number was not valid anymore. I checked my  email and found Citi approved Thankyou Preferred with a CL of $7500.

Citi only wanted my ID and proof of income, in my case, a bank statement.

Amex - I applied using 'Go to shorter application' and enter my Australian Amex number there. I believe it is called a global transfer program. The next day I called Amex asking if they need any document. A lovely lady asked for my passport details. Then we did a 3-way call with Citi to verify my US address. Premier Gold Reward card was aprroved on the spot. Amex only wanted my passport details and address verification.

I have a lot of cards here but very excited about my first 2 US cards. Banks in the US are very generous Smiley Happy  Next step might be trying to get ITIN so I can apply online.

lilfishy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JSS3
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved. No SSN, No ITIN, No US Credit History

Interesting...

Curious how the two cards can build history for you without a social to attach the history to? Also, once you do get a social, will the info be backdated?
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know an answer to the second question but for the first one, I read somewhere on myfico (and some other sites) that SSN is just a part of it. Only name and address are required to build a credit history. Will see if Amex and Citi display my score after 6 months.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is more common than you think. Part of my family is foreign and study in the US and most all have Bank Issued credit cards without any SSN or ITIN. I am sure that AMEX and CITI being as global as they are have these programs, but companies like Capital One and other US banks that arent so global will not approve a credit card to someone without a SSN, ALien registration Number, ITIN, F1 Visa, etc.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is more common than you think. Part of my family is foreign and study in the US and most all have Bank Issued credit cards without any SSN or ITIN. I am sure that AMEX and CITI being as global as they are have these programs, but companies like Capital One and other US banks that arent so global will not approve a credit card to someone without a SSN, ALien registration Number, ITIN, F1 Visa, etc.

You might be surprised at Cap 1.  I know they have Canadian and UK branches.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When I first did a research, I almost gave up as  everybody said it was impossible to get a credit card without SSN. Some even said bank account as well. Then I heard about ITIN which is difficult to get  when I don't live in the US.

Thankfully I'm only  interested in Amex, Citi and Chase cards. Already in good term with 2. I was so stupid and didn't open an account with Chase last month when in the US. Walked past so many branches in Chigaco. I heard parking some $$ would make things easier there. I was trying to get Citi to issue me a letter about interest bearing account so I can apply for ITIN but they ended up sending a consular reference letter lol

Message 7 of 12
KSK1912
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know an answer to the second question but for the first one, I read somewhere on myfico (and some other sites) that SSN is just a part of it. Only name and address are required to build a credit history. Will see if Amex and Citi display my score after 6 months.

That is correct. Furthermore, even a US citizen can deny to give out their SSN during a credit application. It is not necessarily mandatory. But in return, the creditor has the right to refuse a loan / not accept the application. If you think about it, we all get several pre approved offers and such, and do online pre approvals without giving a complete SSN. 

6/14/15: Equifax 576 Experian 542 Transunion 571
8/17/15: Equifax 626 Experian 619 Transunion 622
9/28/15: Equifax 655 Experian 636 Transunion 641
11/11/15: Equifax 698 Experian 687 Transunion 672
Short Term Goal Score: 720 Across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Are you free Tuesday..?
Message 8 of 12
newhis
Valued Contributor

@JSS3 wrote:
Interesting...

Curious how the two cards can build history for you without a social to attach the history to? Also, once you do get a social, will the info be backdated?

I think I read that the bureaus can open a file with only a Name and Address, everything else helps, like DOB, SSN/ITIN, other info.

When you get a social, you need to update your info with the credit cards, so they can report the number to the bureaus. You can contact the bureaus and ask them to include your SSN on your file, everything else stays the same. I guess there is not a new file so no need to backdate.

I have ITIN and it expires. I hope I can get a SSN before expiration, if not, I'll need to update all my credit cards/reports with my new ITIN. I don't expect any loss in score for this.

I added my brother (no SSN/ITIN) to a couple of cards. Afther few months he started getting offers from Cap1. Now he gets offers even for loans. I think one of the cards asked for DOB. Next time he visits he will apply for a credit card I hope the history helps to get a regular unsecured card with good limit.

Message 9 of 12
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I know that BofA give secured credit cards to people without SSN/ITIN, don't know if they unsecure the cards at some point.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.