Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for 2nd Amex!

tag
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

Approved for 2nd Amex!

Hello everyone.  Last night I applied for an Amex Green and got approved,  making this my second card in 3 months. I wasn't pre-approved or anything, so I just decided to go for it. In late July I got a Hilton Honors card, which was incredible because I had debt problems in the past, and had just paid back Amex for less than full in 2021. This card is at a limit of $1000, which makes it impossible to use for upcoming purchases, so getting a charge card just made sense. I'm really pleased. 

One thing I noticed with my Hilton Honors card is that there is no option for a credit line increase on my account. Instead it says see lending options. Has anyone else noticed this? 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
SDMarik
Established Contributor

Re: Approved for 2nd Amex!

Congrats on the approval! Since you have a bit of a history with Amex, just make sure to check your spending limit on the charge card before you set out for the purchases, if the other card limit wasn't enough. No present spending limit, does not mean no spending limit. 

"When prosperity comes, do not use all of it"
Message 2 of 19
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@SDMarik wrote:

Congrats on the approval! Since you have a bit of a history with Amex, just make sure to check your spending limit on the charge card before you set out for the purchases, if the other card limit wasn't enough. No present spending limit, does not mean no spending limit. 

Congrats! Yep this^. Being that you had that past and then barely got in with a $1K CL on the HH. I wouldn't expect to much of a different internal CL on the Green card just yet either. AX will probably have you on a tight leash for a while. I know the charge cards say NPSL but that's not really the case as they have that internal limit that AX is very secretive over. Also if they offer you POT it may be in that same $1K range but it should tell you that in your phone AX App 

Message 3 of 19
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats!

As for your Hilton card, the fact that it was only a $1k SL means it was a borderline approval. It also means it'll be hard to grow and may not get the 3x CLI every time, especially the first time. The link itself missing doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's been kind of broken for a while.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 19
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

WooHoo!! Congratulations on your AMEX Approval!!👏🏼🍾🥂

With good use of the Green Card, you may get offered the Pay Over Time feature...essentially giving you a credit line to utilize should you choose so if you'll be using this card as stated for some heavy transactions paid in full each month, you should see a benefit in the future.

Message 5 of 19
Laredo
Contributor

Congratulations on the Amex approval.  

(Ch13 Discharged 07/22) Current Cards: American Express Gold: NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Everyday: $15,000 | American Express Delta SkyMiles Platinum: $1,700 | Navy Federal Credit Union Cash Rewards: $10,000 | Dover Federal Credit Union Cash Back: $10,000 | Penfed Cash Rewards: $7,500 | Truist Enjoy Cash: $5,500 | Truist Enjoy Travel: $5,500 | Truist Future: $3,500 | Bread American Express Cash Back $8,500 | Discover it $12,000 | USAA Rewards Amex $12,000 | Kohl’s $800 | Care Credit $7,000 | Lowes $3,000 | Amazon Store Card $1,500 | Jared $5,000
Total Revolving Credit: $108,500
Closed Rebuild Cards: Ollo Platinum: $3,900 | Ollo Rewards: $3,000 | Mercury $3,000 | Surge Card $1,000
Message 6 of 19
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@SDMarik wrote:

Thank you. I used to have the Green and the Gold, so I'm familiar with how charge cards and the NPSL works. I really like the ability to verify spending power before a large purchase. 

Message 7 of 19
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@bigseegar wrote:

@SDMarik wrote:

Congrats! Yep this^. Being that you had that past and then barely got in with a $1K CL on the HH. I wouldn't expect to much of a different internal CL on the Green card just yet either. AX will probably have you on a tight leash for a while. I know the charge cards say NPSL but that's not really the case as they have that internal limit that AX is very secretive over. Also if they offer you POT it may be in that same $1K range but it should tell you that in your phone AX App 

Thank you. Yes, my small limit means I was a borderline approval, which is why I waited a few months before applying for the Green. I have maxed out the card several times, and promptly paid it off in full each time, plus my non-Amex cards are also paid in full each month. I also have a saings account with them.  I didn't know that the Amex App tells you your internal charge card limit....interesting.

Message 8 of 19
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Congrats!

As for your Hilton card, the fact that it was only a $1k SL means it was a borderline approval. It also means it'll be hard to grow and may not get the 3x CLI every time, especially the first time. The link itself missing doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's been kind of broken for a while.

Yes, I knew it was a borderline approval at the time due to the limit, and the fact that they pulled both Experian and Transunion. I was hping to get hte limit to $3k as this would better meet my needs. Didn't know about the broken link, though. 

Message 9 of 19
shalimarcat
Regular Contributor

@Laredo wrote:

Congratulations on the Amex approval.  

Thank you!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.