Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Approved for 5th Amex revolver

@K-in-Bostonwrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

@simplynoirwrote:

@MrDisco99wrote:

@credit_endurancewrote:

Congrats MrDisco on the approval! What’s your total exposure with them now?

$82K over five revolvers, plus two charge cards.  Income is just north of $100K.

Thanks for the datapoint. AMEX continues to confuse me with how they handle lending credit in relation to income.

I have 7k over 2 revolvers and my income is close to 200k.  They are stingy with me. 

First off, congrats @MrDisco99!  Sounds like churning is a good plan for this one; at least you can move almost all of your limit over to another card whenever you're ready.  And yes, their lending makes no sense sometimes.  I've had monthly charge card balances about the same size as all of my Amex revolving limits combined and easily put over $70k through my Amex cards last year, but I'm apparently capped right now at about 12% of income on the revolver side.  Meanwhile, there are numerous examples of people having a fraction of my income and multiples of my limits with almost no spend.  What gives, Amex?

Yeah, I don't get it. The only thing I can think of for your situation is if they did take your wife's cards into consideration in relation to household income if I'm making any sense. That is unless they don't care about that and each of you can comparatively get the same exposure with the same income. It honestly makes me curious.

Message 21 of 25
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Amex blows my mind with how much they've given me verses income. I see the same with Disco Dynamite. lol
I'm not going to complain though.
The way Amex is rolling, they'll catch Synchrony and pass them as my highest exposure lender in a couple of months.
Message 22 of 25
355F1
Contributor

AMEX doesn’t let you transfer balances to this card using your full credit line...???
Message 23 of 25
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I was a bit surprised by that as well. Apparently not. They seem kinda stingy with their BT offers.
Message 24 of 25
355F1
Contributor

Do they increase the balance transfer availabilty if the credit limit increases?

I just got approved for the Everyday card ($15,000 limit but also $7500 BT offer) but was thinking of moving some of my $40k Delta AMEX Reserve line over to increase the BT line.

I haven't received my card just yet so I haven't been able to find this out.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.