cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for AMEX Delta Skymiles card, but...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for AMEX Delta Skymiles card, but...

MY CL is only $1k.  Has anyone had any success getting a higher limit initially?  Is there a backdoor number other than customer service where i might plead my case?  I've been wanting this card for years so i'm really excited about it, just wish it had a limit closer to my other cards.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

Re: Approved for AMEX Delta Skymiles card, but...

Sometimes, $1000 can (not always) be their "Credit Step Program".  Once you get your welcome kit with your limit and APR etc, it will tell you if it is or not.  If not, my recommendation would be, 1st find out when your billing cycle ends and I would max out the card and pay off everything but $50.00 THE DAY BEFORE the billing cycle ends, for 2 reasons 1. it will report to your bureau as a $50 balance 2. AMEX loves when you pay them BEFORE. 2nd, 65 Days later ask for a 3X CLI and see what happens, I will caution you, they like to see North of 600 Beacon before they approve for a CLI.  If you get declined, keep doing what your doing and 65 days later ask for another 3X CLI. Once your CLI is approved, wait 6 months for another CLI and next thing you know it will just keep growing.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will certainly give it a shot. Thanks for the input!
Message 3 of 11
sdsoccerdad
Established Contributor

Congrats and good luck with that!  I've reported many times that I've been denied for the increase on this card.  Still stuck at 1K.  My strategy now is to build up either my SPG or my Everyday and move some credit lines around.

My scores were similar to yours last year when I received the Gold Delta.

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

Started my journey in the high 500's 10/1/2016
Current Fico: EQ:740 | TU:757 | EX:775
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on approval

Message 5 of 11
Time2letgo
Regular Contributor

Congrats, great thing is if you handle it correctly it can grow in no time.

Work In Progress:
Current Revolving Personal CL: ~$466K

Current Revolving Business CL: ~$107K

Gardening Until Dec 2019 or Until All Scores are back above 800s

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

While several people feel that a $1K SL is a slap in the face. Here's an FYI, scores at 580-659 are considered "fair", with scores 660-740ish are considered "good" credit. People in that "fair" zone are going to be placed in that risky zone with lower SL, it's a fact of life. It is then up to you to change that by being responsible by showing them so. That leads to higher limits and better APRs.

Luckily Amex has a better CLI system in place to help someone get there more quickly.

Message 7 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@PointsBonus wrote:

Sometimes, $1000 can (not always) be their "Credit Step Program".  Once you get your welcome kit with your limit and APR etc, it will tell you if it is or not.  If not, my recommendation would be, 1st find out when your billing cycle ends and I would max out the card and pay off everything but $50.00 THE DAY BEFORE the billing cycle ends, for 2 reasons 1. it will report to your bureau as a $50 balance 2. AMEX loves when you pay them BEFORE. 2nd, 65 Days later ask for a 3X CLI and see what happens, I will caution you, they like to see North of 600 Beacon before they approve for a CLI.  If you get declined, keep doing what your doing and 65 days later ask for another 3X CLI. Once your CLI is approved, wait 6 months for another CLI and next thing you know it will just keep growing.

Your post is helpful and well-meaning, so please do not be offended that a few things need to be corrected. 

• Using the card heavily and paying it off or nearly off prior to the statement closing date (even multiple times in a single statement period) is indeed generally a very good way to show Amex that you need a higher credit line, but Amex is no happier with early payments than with payments made on the due date, as long as they're paid on time.
  • Many cardholders may be eligble for a CLI at 61 days, not 65.
  • Amex does not use a Beacon score, which would be based on Equifax data.  They use Experian FICO 08, and it will be the score that shows in your American Express account from your most recent pull.
  • If a credit line increase is denied on any Amex account, the cardholder must wait a minimum of 91 days before they are eligible for a CLI on any of their Amex accounts; asking again at 65 days will result in an automatic denial.
  • A cardholder is eligible for a CLI on an Amex card a minimum of 181 days after being granted a CLI on any of their Amex cards.

@Anonymous congratulations on your approval.  A $1000 approval is generally a very marginal approval.  I am not sure how your current scores are in relation to the ones in your signature, but you will certainly want to work on increasing your Experian FICO 08 score if it is still anywhere in the 600s.  The good news is that Amex cards can and do grow quite well.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to thank everyone for their input. I love this community. I should clarify my scores are now just south of 700 across the board. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful for the 1k starting limit. I have been wanting this card for so long because I travel a lot for work, and exclusively use Delta. I have a cap1 plat with a limit of 8k and a new discover IT with a 3k limit. Very low utilization across the board. I want to use my new amex as my every day card so I can rack up the miles. I will take everyone's suggestions to heart. Thanks again everyone!
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I've wanted this card for a long time!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.