Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for AMEX Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for AMEX Gold

********** UPDATE ********* After posting and reading responses, I called AMEX to apply to their AMEX Everyday and was APPROVED - they did do another pull unforuntately so it's time to garden for a bit after 2 pulls in one day! YEESH. *********

I was denied by NFCU with a TU score of 702 Vantage 3 but I had two recent late payments for Sept and Oct and kept UTL around 100% for a long time.  When I paid off card in full, I applied figuring maybe they'd approve but NOPE! Denied even after Recon.

So I applied for AMEX GOLD card and was approved with them pulling Experian in Florida.  I had a 675 FICO 8.

I really wanted a revolving card (credit card, not charge card) - can I call and ask to apply to one of their revolving options as well?

Or does anyone have any recomendations for me for a credit card?

TU Vantage 3.0 672 / 2 lates - 0% UTL - 0 INQ

EQ Vantage 3.0 644 / 2 lates - 0% UTL - 0 INQ

Experian Fico 8 675  / 2 lates - 0% UTL - 2 INQ

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for AMEX Gold

Were the late payments for NFCU debts?
You should generally expect issuers to varying extents overweight their own experience (good or bad) with a debtor vs the overall credit profile.

They may dislike you not paying another creditor vs hating you not paying them.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 2 late payments were in Sept / Oct for a GM Financial Auto Loan which I co-signed for my g/f whom I broke up with.  Once we broke up and she stopped paying, I took the vehicle in possession and paid the loan.  Payments are up to date and on time now and I have a new Range Rover Sport and a new g/f who has her own checkbook Smiley Happy 

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

675 Fico 8 is borderline.
I would suggest using the new charge and making sure it is paid timely.
Eventually when you check new cards on your online account some will show "Preapproved".

Message 4 of 18
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

You could try for the AMEX ED or one of the Delta cobrand cards (if you use Delta that is), I think your score would support that, they would probably also use your last pull that was used for the Gold card app.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

As you said, Sept / Oct is still very recent.
People have gotten Navy approvals with profiles more damaged than yours; you need to get the auto lates further back in the rear view mirror. Very nice if the Fico 8 score already includes the damage from lates.
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

On phone now with them for the AMEX ED - they did another pull apparently which stinks but I'm on hold now because I have a fraud alert and need to verify info with another department. Fingers Crossed! 🤞 Getting 20% more back on points with 20 or more purchases and having a revolving line is better than charge which I would only use for work reimbursed travel.

I'll keep you all updated!

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was denied by NFCU with a TU score of 702 Vantage 3 but I had two recent late payments for Sept and Oct and kept UTL around 100% for a long time.  When I paid off card in full, I applied figuring maybe they'd approve but NOPE! Denied even after Recon.

So I applied for AMEX GOLD card and was approved with them pulling Experian in Florida.  I had a 675 FICO 8.

I really wanted a revolving card (credit card, not charge card) - can I call and ask to apply to one of their revolving options as well?

Or does anyone have any recomendations for me for a credit card?

TU Vantage 3.0 672 / 2 lates - 0% UTL - 0 INQ

EQ Vantage 3.0 644 / 2 lates - 0% UTL - 0 INQ

Experian Fico 8 675  / 2 lates - 0% UTL - 2 INQ

Congrats on the GOLD approval ! 
I got approved for a GOLD a few weeks ago, and I was approved approved AMEX CASH MAGNET CL just a few days after that.

My Experian score was only 664 at the time. Though I had not been late on anything in over two years, so not sure how much you lates from just a few months ago would weight against you on revolver request.

Not suggesting you to specifically go for the AMEX CASH MAGNET.  Pick whatever card best suits your needs. Just saying it's certainly ok, and not uncommon for them to approve someone for a charge card + a revolver on the same day/same week.

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!  And congrats on your approvals as well!  It's awesome feeling to be approved during rebuilding process and getting back on track!  I just got off phone and am happy to say that I was APPROVED for the AMEX EVERYDAY!  Both cards will be arriving in mail next week!   I plan to use gold card for travel with pay off in full from my employer and then Everyday for grocery and gas purchases that I used to use debit card for!  Super excited to finally get POINTS!

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval!! Did you get a decent SL?
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.