Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for AMEX Gold

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for AMEX Gold

I made the dumb mistake and applied for the Amex gold. It popped up as a 'matched for you' on Experian (as well as CK) and bit the bullet for 75k and $200 on home improvement. Why is this dumb? I have one card that I'm struggling to pay off. 12k USAA with thankfully okay interest rates at ~12% but still $130 a month in interest. I decided to make it my 'primary' card to effectively lower my interest charged and this card will take away some of the spend. Oh well, I have six months for 4k of spend.

Anyways, I'm excited. I had my eyes on the gold for a couple months. 

Data points! Not the greatest. Exp 701, TU 698 Exp 678 

A couple late fees from 2017. As of today, I'm at 27%, big shout out to NFCU for giving me 20k back in January! I was right at 50% when I got the More Rewards and it gave me a 20 point swing on my score. 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
TampaBAY86
Regular Contributor

Re: Approved for AMEX Gold

Congrats on the Amex Gold @Anonymous!  That is a great SUB! 

I'm sure you will love the card.  It is my most used card by far.  Make sure you use the credits, and keep an eye on the Amex offers to when possible. 

Message 2 of 15
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 3 of 15
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Congrats on your approval! Just be careful if you're already having trouble paying off your USAA. Building credit can be fun, but if you're not careful it can be a 7 year hole you dig at every day until you're finally out of. Last thing you want is to fall back in.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 4 of 15
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex Gold approval! 👌 

...and GO NAVY!!!

20200921_140224.gif

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AlanGJP wrote:

Congrats on your approval! Just be careful if you're already having trouble paying off your USAA. Building credit can be fun, but if you're not careful it can be a 7 year hole you dig at every day until you're finally out of. Last thing you want is to fall back in.

That's not an issue. I have good system in place with YNAB that I won't get in any more trouble. I'm down about 5k since October and USAA was always the last card to pay off. Now I'm just enjoying the credit card game. I got in a little bit of credit troubles while in school after I got out the military so I'm just now able to focus on my finances.

But I figured if I cycled through the remaining credit on my USAA card, the 3k a month in spend I were to put on it would effectively have a greater net positive than the cash back I would get on my other cards. 

Message 6 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your AMEX Gold approval!

Message 7 of 15
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your approval and a handsome SUB! Cheers 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I made the dumb mistake and applied for the Amex gold. It popped up as a 'matched for you' on Experian (as well as CK) and bit the bullet for 75k and $200 on home improvement. Why is this dumb? I have one card that I'm struggling to pay off. 12k USAA with thankfully okay interest rates at ~12% but still $130 a month in interest. I decided to make it my 'primary' card to effectively lower my interest charged and this card will take away some of the spend. Oh well, I have six months for 4k of spend.

Anyways, I'm excited. I had my eyes on the gold for a couple months. 

Data points! Not the greatest. Exp 701, TU 698 Exp 678 

A couple late fees from 2017. As of today, I'm at 27%, big shout out to NFCU for giving me 20k back in January! I was right at 50% when I got the More Rewards and it gave me a 20 point swing on my score. 

Congratulations on your approval! I'd be excited when my CS attain what yours are. But we are each in the Credit Build/Rebuild Journey at different points along the path. 🙏🏻 Enjoy your new card responsibly and I'm sure you'll manage to get your balances and utilization down soon! 🏆

Message 9 of 15
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex Gold approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.