Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for AMEX Platinum

tag
eyam
Established Member

Approved for AMEX Platinum

Hello everyone,

I finally decided to make an account instead of just browsing. 

Very happy to say that I was recently approved for one of my goal cards - AMEX Platinum - $4K POT (100,000 MR SUB)

This is my first card with AMEX (became an AMEX Gold AU a month ago). My scores aren't the best so I was actually pretty shocked when the approval came through. Over the past few years, I've been checking the AMEX prequals and it never yielded any results until now. Mind you, I haven't checked my scores in quite some time so I was blindly shooting for a prequal. Furthermore, I haven't applied for any cards in almost 18 months. I'd go so far to say that I just stopped focusing on my credit so much, just managing what I already had. This is just in time as I have a few international trips coming up over the next year. Long story less long, I applied and got to that "Authorized User" screen that I'd never seen before. Very happy to say the least, I'll be using this card for nearly everything for a while. 

DP's for the stat junkies:

EXP - 651, 6 inq's, ~2 baddies, 72% util total

EQ - 623, 2 inq's, ~3 baddies, 73% util total

TRANS - 650, 6 inq's, ~3 baddies, 73% util total

(begs the question, what all would be considered a baddie? i'll check the forum and update if needed for more precise dp's)

As of 2/20/22:

As of 4/20/22:
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
RealEstateGuy89
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approved for AMEX Platinum

@eyam wrote:

Hello everyone,

I finally decided to make an account instead of just browsing. 

Very happy to say that I was recently approved for one of my goal cards - AMEX Platinum - $4K POT (100,000 MR SUB)

This is my first card with AMEX (became an AMEX Gold AU a month ago). My scores aren't the best so I was actually pretty shocked when the approval came through. Over the past few years, I've been checking the AMEX prequals and it never yielded any results until now. Mind you, I haven't checked my scores in quite some time so I was blindly shooting for a prequal. Furthermore, I haven't applied for any cards in almost 18 months. I'd go so far to say that I just stopped focusing on my credit so much, just managing what I already had. This is just in time as I have a few international trips coming up over the next year. Long story less long, I applied and got to that "Authorized User" screen that I'd never seen before. Very happy to say the least, I'll be using this card for nearly everything for a while. 

DP's for the stat junkies:

EXP - 651, 6 inq's, ~2 baddies, 72% util total

EQ - 623, 2 inq's, ~3 baddies, 73% util total

TRANS - 650, 6 inq's, ~3 baddies, 73% util total

(begs the question, what all would be considered a baddie? i'll check the forum and update if needed for more precise dp's)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your Platinum AMEX!   Baddies mean anything derogatory like late payments, charge offs, and collections etc. 

Message 2 of 13
BlackOpzFX
Valued Member

Thnx!! for the data point. Kinda shocking that 650 AND High Utilization got approved. Good datapoint.

Message 3 of 13
eyam
Established Member

Thank you @RealEstateGuy89! I wasn't sure if I should've included lates in the mix or not. Appreciate the info.

Believe me, @BlackOpzFX I was just as shocked as you. Not sure how I slipped through the cracks but I'm grateful. I know some people don't like charge cards because of not knowing the limit, but I've been enjoying it so far. Was able to run about $9K through it so far. Amex called me to thank me for becoming a cardmember and to explain to me how the card works, asked if the card would be my daily driver, and the concierge service helped me book a hotel suite I wasn't able to book online for some reason. The perks you get with the card fit my lifestyle really well.

As of 2/20/22:

As of 4/20/22:
Message 4 of 13
williamachamberlain
Valued Member

Congrats on the Amex Platinum approval. I get alerts all the time to update to the Platinum card. I use my Amex gold mainly for meals, not a whole lot of usage. However I can't justify the $650 annual fee to upgrade

My Wallet: NFCU CR Visa 25K, NFCU GR Visa 23K, NFCU Platinum 16K, PenFed PCR 26k, PenFed PR 18K, USAA Sig Visa 23K, USAA Amex 24K, Amex Hilton 9K, Amex Gold NPSL, BOA Platinum Plus MC 26K, BOA TR Visa 30K, Chase Amazon Visa 8K
Message 5 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your Amex platinum approval & welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on the Amex Plat approval!!

Message 7 of 13
draychi
Valued Member

Oddly enough, I got my first pre-approval for the same Amex Platinum. I backed out, then noticed your thread about an hour later.

I got my first Discover this morning for balance transfers, and said what the hell - take a swing at the Amex.

Approved for the Platinum

666 TU and Exp pull

47% Utl

I'm pretty shocked as well. I think they are on some type of approval spree this weekend.

Rebuild start: Late 2020 (Low 500's).
- Settled & Removed 9 collections
- 680-700 (03/2022)
- 5.5 year old Chase repo I need to settle

PenFed Power Cash $3.5k | Amex Plat NPSL | Discover IT $2k | Citi $200 | WF Active Cash $300 | FirstPremier $1200 | FirstNational, FirstSavings $850 each | Cap1 Plat $700 | Avant $300 | Surge $1k | Kohls $300 | CreditOne $600 & $1.2k | Jasper MC $1k | Petal1 $500 | OppFi $1k | Prosper $500 | MissionLane $500
Message 8 of 13
Reviewers
Established Contributor

Congrats on your new AMEX Platinum approval and welcome @eyam 

Message 9 of 13
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex Platinum approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.