Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Gold - using airline credit

tag
drave199
Established Member

Approved for Amex Gold - using airline credit

So went ahead and applied and got instant approval!. Some of you had some good point as why not to get ti and also why I should get it. I decided what the heck! We'll see how this first year goes with it.

Couple quick questions though. I was hoping if I applied before the end of the year I could take advantage of the $100 airline fee and get a gift card, then I would be able to get another one after the 1st of the year. (per calendar year right?) However I never got a temporary card number and when I called they said Id have to wait until I receive the card which will most likely be after the 1st of the year. Am I missing something here? If I dont get it, then I dont get it but just wondering.

Also, I want to add another card holder but I see that they want that persons social. They said that they dont run the credit but they check to make sure that person isn't a deadbeat with american express. However I was also told that the payment history will show on that persons credit profile? Can anyone shed some light on this?

**if these  two questions are better suited for a different section then let me know and I can move it!

Thanks for the help

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Amex Gold

Congratulations! Nice way to bring in the New Year!! Any stats?
Message 2 of 11
drave199
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Congratulations! Nice way to bring in the New Year!! Any stats?

Im new enough that I still dont really know what stats mean. But my cards and their CL are in my signiture (finally figured that out) and while I dont have a current run of my scores, across all my free reports thru my credit cards, they are all 760 and above!

Message 3 of 11
StackDev
Established Member

I just got approved as well, congrats to you!

Revolving Total- $23,100 | Util- 1% | AAoA - 4yrs 9mos | AAoOA - 3yr 6mos | Inquiries - 9/24 | 5/24 Rule - 1
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re authorized user... their credit report will reflect any payments made. It will help their credit assuming you pay the card off each month.
Message 5 of 11
drave199
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Re authorized user... their credit report will reflect any payments made. It will help their credit assuming you pay the card off each month.

So in other words if I made a mistake(hypothetically of course) then it would reflect negitively on their report? Hmmm, might have to think about that. Seems unfair to give someone that potential burden of risking their score

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Amex Gold - using airline credit

Congrats on your Amex Gold approval! Lots of Gold cards this holidays! Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval. 

As for the temp card, some get it, some don’t.

I’ve always received the temp number except with my Reserve. I’m not sure what triggers who/what gets it and who/what doesn’t. 

Message 8 of 11
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

I called up using the number on the back of my reserve card and explained I was trying to set up my amex app on my phone and couldn't add my card because I didn't have a number, the CSR set me up with everything right then and there. Congrats on the card.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 9 of 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.