Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Platinum at 21 y/o

tag
yankee01

Approved for Amex Platinum at 21 y/o

Hi everyone,

Been peeking at these forums for a while now and finally created an account. Hit a huge milestone in my personal finances... got approved for the American Express Platinum (went with the classic and not one of the new art designs) this past Friday (9/23/22) and couldn't be more proud of myself.  Started out on my 18th birthday being approved for the Discover it Chrome card, then the BofA Amtrak Guest Rewards, Capital One Venture One, and finally the Amex Platinum.

Getting the Platinum seemed like one of those goals that would happen after kids around 30-40 y/o, but never did I think it would happen this soon. I went on the Amex website to see 'pre-qualified offers' and sure enough the Platinum was the first one that came up after filling out the form. I've been working extremely hard to teach myself financial discipline over the past year or so... replenishing my savings, cutting back on unnecessary spending, getting my card balances to $0.00 each month, and I guess it paid off! (no pun intended)

I didn't do much research on the income requirements for the Platinum (before applying) but I guess I met them...

Not sure what else there is to achieve with my credit other than maybe one day getting the invitation for a Centurion... who knows?! This was pretty much a birthday gift at this point... turned 21 on 9/18 and got approved for the Plat on 9/23. My spending will stay the same (just move from my Venture to the Platinum) but I'm excited to take advantage of all the benefits, especially the lounge access! Smiley Wink

Current Cards as of 9/22:
Amex Platinum (N/A)
Citi Diamond Preferred ($6,000)
Capital One Venture One ($1,100)
BofA Amtrak Mastercard ($1,200)
Discover it Chrome ($500)
32 REPLIES 32
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex Platinum at 21 y/o

Congrats! Just be sure to be aware that this is a charge card, so by default it MUST be paid in full monthly (unless you use Pay Over Time, but that's a whole separate thing). Also it's more geared towards heavy travelers, given its perks and rewards earning structure,  so hopefully you can take full advantage of it.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 33
calisig
Regular Contributor

@yankee01 wrote:

I didn't do much research on the income requirements for the Platinum (before applying) but I guess I met them...

Not sure what else there is to achieve with my credit other than maybe one day getting the invitation for a Centurion... who knows?! My spending will stay the same (just move from my Venture to the Platinum)  Smiley Wink

Congratulations.

Not sure what else there is to achieve with your credit? You could work on some of the premium credit cards. AE Platinum is a charge card, and those generally have lower underwriting requirements - which is why they are easier to get. And since charge cards don't have credit limits, they don't help increase your total limits for utilization purposes like credit cards do. By adding credit cards, you can increase your overall limits and improve your score through lower utilization.

Regarding moving spending from Venture to Platinum, absolutely do this for airline flights. But once you meet your Platinum SUB spend requirement, for all other spend you may earn more rewards value with your Venture card.

Good luck on your credit journey

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 3 of 33
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@calisig wrote:

@yankee01 wrote:

Not sure what else there is to achieve with my credit other than maybe one day getting the invitation for a Centurion... who knows?! My spending will stay the same (just move from my Venture to the Platinum)  Smiley Wink

Congratulations.

Not sure what else there is to achieve with your credit? You could work on some of the premium credit cards. AE Platinum is a charge card, and those generally have lower underwriting requirements - which is why they are easier to get. And since charge cards don't have credit limits, they don't help increase your total limits for utilization purposes like credit cards. By adding more credit cards, you can increase your overall limits and improve your score with lower utilization.

Regarding moving spending from Venture to Platinum, absolutely do this for airline flights. But for all other spend, you may earn more rewards on general spend with your Venture card.

Good luck on your credit journey

Keep in mind OP likely has a non-trivial minimum spend requirement to get the SUB.

The Platinum income requirements (if there are any in the USA) are fairly modest. Having a lot of perks doesn't always mean high spending power.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 33
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Amex Platinum approval . . . and Happy Belated Birthday . . . hope it was a blast!!! Smiley Wink

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 5 of 33
slickwidit
Established Contributor

Congrats on the platinum!

"Achieving your goal is great and everything.. But The journey is where all the amazing stuff happens" *Slickwidit*
Score goals - 800+ (85 points away)
Message 6 of 33
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your AMEX Platinum approval

Message 7 of 33
markhs777
Regular Contributor

As long as you achieve at least $700 in perks without sacrificing other card perks congrats on the card.

Message 8 of 33
WasteMgmt
Regular Contributor

That is amazing. Congrats! I don't think I was even worried about credit cards at 21, just wanted to graduate college on time ha. 

CapitalOne Venture X, CapitalOne Quicksilver, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Freedom OG, Chase Freedom OG, Amex BCE, Wells Fargo Autograph
Last application 5/2023
Message 9 of 33
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

Gratz on the AMEX plat approval!

3/3/24
Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.