Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Platinum at 21 y/o

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex Platinum at 21 y/o

@yankee01 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Been peeking at these forums for a while now and finally created an account. Hit a huge milestone in my personal finances... got approved for the American Express Platinum (went with the classic and not one of the new art designs) this past Friday (9/23/22) and couldn't be more proud of myself.  Started out on my 18th birthday being approved for the Discover it Chrome card, then the BofA Amtrak Guest Rewards, Capital One Venture One, and finally the Amex Platinum.

Getting the Platinum seemed like one of those goals that would happen after kids around 30-40 y/o, but never did I think it would happen this soon. I went on the Amex website to see 'pre-qualified offers' and sure enough the Platinum was the first one that came up after filling out the form. I've been working extremely hard to teach myself financial discipline over the past year or so... replenishing my savings, cutting back on unnecessary spending, getting my card balances to $0.00 each month, and I guess it paid off! (no pun intended)

I didn't do much research on the income requirements for the Platinum (before applying) but I guess I met them...

Not sure what else there is to achieve with my credit other than maybe one day getting the invitation for a Centurion... who knows?! This was pretty much a birthday gift at this point... turned 21 on 9/18 and got approved for the Plat on 9/23. My spending will stay the same (just move from my Venture to the Platinum) but I'm excited to take advantage of all the benefits, especially the lounge access! Smiley Wink

Congratulations. But I don't think you should think of getting a credit card as a reason for pride.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 11 of 33
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex Platinum approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 12 of 33
Stealth-1
Established Contributor

Congrats!

"If you don't stand for something, you might fall for anything."
Message 13 of 33
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Congrats to you and your credit knowledge at your age, i should have had a Capital One Platinum when i was that young lol.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 33
yankee01

@OmarGB9 wrote:

Congrats! Just be sure to be aware that this is a charge card, so by default it MUST be paid in full monthly (unless you use Pay Over Time, but that's a whole separate thing). Also it's more geared towards heavy travelers, given its perks and rewards earning structure,  so hopefully you can take full advantage of it.

Thank you! I would consider myself a rather "medium-heavy" traveler which is why I went with the Platinum. Most of my travel is international which means the no international transaction fees are a huge perk to me, among all the other travel perks.

And yes--I do know this is a charge card! I'm more concerned about taking advantage of the benefits rather than carrying a balance...

Current Cards as of 9/22:
Amex Platinum (N/A)
Citi Diamond Preferred ($6,000)
Capital One Venture One ($1,100)
BofA Amtrak Mastercard ($1,200)
Discover it Chrome ($500)
Message 15 of 33
yankee01

@calisig wrote:

@yankee01 wrote:

I didn't do much research on the income requirements for the Platinum (before applying) but I guess I met them...

Not sure what else there is to achieve with my credit other than maybe one day getting the invitation for a Centurion... who knows?! My spending will stay the same (just move from my Venture to the Platinum)  Smiley Wink

Congratulations.

Not sure what else there is to achieve with your credit? You could work on some of the premium credit cards. AE Platinum is a charge card, and those generally have lower underwriting requirements - which is why they are easier to get. And since charge cards don't have credit limits, they don't help increase your total limits for utilization purposes like credit cards do. By adding credit cards, you can increase your overall limits and improve your score through lower utilization.

Regarding moving spending from Venture to Platinum, absolutely do this for airline flights. But once you meet your Platinum SUB spend requirement, for all other spend you may earn more rewards value with your Venture card.

Good luck on your credit journey

Thank you for the congratulations. Over the next year I'll be focusing on getting the lines increased on my current cards, and then I'll see if I can get approval for something with a larger line of credit (to increase my overall revolving lines.)

Amex Platinum (N/A)
Message 16 of 33
yankee01

@babygirl1256 wrote:

Congrats on your Amex Platinum approval . . . and Happy Belated Birthday . . . hope it was a blast!!! Smiley Wink

Thank you! It was a blast. Smiley Happy

Amex Platinum (N/A)
Message 17 of 33
yankee01

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@yankee01 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Been peeking at these forums for a while now and finally created an account. Hit a huge milestone in my personal finances... got approved for the American Express Platinum (went with the classic and not one of the new art designs) this past Friday (9/23/22) and couldn't be more proud of myself.  Started out on my 18th birthday being approved for the Discover it Chrome card, then the BofA Amtrak Guest Rewards, Capital One Venture One, and finally the Amex Platinum.

Getting the Platinum seemed like one of those goals that would happen after kids around 30-40 y/o, but never did I think it would happen this soon. I went on the Amex website to see 'pre-qualified offers' and sure enough the Platinum was the first one that came up after filling out the form. I've been working extremely hard to teach myself financial discipline over the past year or so... replenishing my savings, cutting back on unnecessary spending, getting my card balances to $0.00 each month, and I guess it paid off! (no pun intended)

Not sure what else there is to achieve with my credit other than maybe one day getting the invitation for a Centurion... who knows?! This was pretty much a birthday gift at this point... turned 21 on 9/18 and got approved for the Plat on 9/23. My spending will stay the same (just move from my Venture to the Platinum) but I'm excited to take advantage of all the benefits, especially the lounge access! Smiley Wink

Congratulations. But I don't think you should think of getting a credit card as a reason for pride.

Thanks for the congratulations--but I do! I've had a rough financial history regarding my credit, depleting my savings, etc., and Amex has denied me multiple times for something as basic as the Blue Cash EveryDay... but after teaching myself discipline, working hard and getting a better job w/higher salary, etc. the fact that I was approved for the Platinum is just one of those little reminders that I'm doing a good job, and I'm proud of the progress I've made.

Not specifically having pride in just being approved for the card, but the journey that I got through in order to get here. That's all!

Amex Platinum (N/A)
Message 18 of 33
yankee01

Guess what ladies and gents...

Got an email from Citi regarding pre-approval for the Citi Diamond Preferred. I got approved! $6,000 limit.

I guess my revolving credit increased after all... LOL. (just not with the Amex)

Amex Platinum (N/A)
Message 19 of 33
calisig
Regular Contributor

@yankee01 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Amex has denied me multiple times for something as basic as the Blue Cash EveryDay... but after teaching myself discipline, working hard and getting a better job w/higher salary, etc. the fact that I was approved for the Platinum is just one of those little reminders that I'm doing a good job, and I'm proud of the progress I've made.

FYI - it's harder to get approved for Blue Cash EveryDay than Platinum, because BCE is a credit card - so it is not surprising you were denied BCE before being approved for Platinum. So thinking you were denied for something "as basic as the BCE" is incorrect thinking - because from an underwriting point of view, BCE is higher level than Platinum. So if you are going to be impressed by someone's cards, be more impressed that they qualified for BCE than Platinum. But being able to afford Platinum AND make it worth while can be a physical reminder that you have made progress - enjoy

13Oct22 Exp F8: 812
Message 20 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.