Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Platinum

tag
ratchada
Contributor

Approved for Amex Platinum

Happy to report that I was instantly approved (my account showed a pre-approval) for the Amex Plat today.

My actual EX FICO 8 score (according to Experian) at the time of approval was 717, though Amex is showing a score of 669 from a couple months ago. As usual with current Amex cardholders (I have an Everyday card), there was no hard pull.

I'm very happy about this, as I'm still pretty new to credit cards: I only got my first, lowly CapOne Quicksilver One a year ago (CL started at $300 and is still only $500), and my only card with Amex up until now has been the Everyday, which will be a year old at the end of July. Needless to say, I've kept utilization below 10% for the most part, and made all payments on time. Income is in the high five figures. I'm 7/24 with this card; I won't be getting anything but business cards until I drop under 5/24 in July 2020. My most recent personal card before today was a Chase IHG in late October 2018.

Thanks to everyone who gave me encouragement in this post:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Pre-approval-for-Amex-Plat-disappears-is-this-normal/m...

...which I made when a previous pre-approval for the Plat on my Amex account disappeared. As several posters assured me would happen, it came back!

I got my card number online and have added it to as many accounts as I can, plus I'm already 20% of the way to my MSR: just bought a first-class ticket to Hawaii for a vacation I'm planning in December!

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
14 REPLIES 14
Chelow
Regular Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex Platinum

Congrats ! Great addition !
Hope you enjoy the perks !

Message 2 of 15
sports1965
Frequent Contributor

The Amex Platinum was once a prestigious card only available to those with the best credit and highest incomes,

Today is nothing more than a profit center !

Anyone with decent credit and average income can get one as long as your willing to pay the astronomic annual fee!

Message 3 of 15
ratchada
Contributor

@sports1965 wrote:

The Amex Platinum was once a prestigious card only available to those with the best credit and highest incomes,

Today is nothing more than a profit center !

Anyone with decent credit and average income can get one as long as your willing to pay the astronomic annual fee!

Don't care much about "prestige." It has enough value for me personally to make it worth the annual fee. Plus, since there are several "flavors," I can get the SUB several times. I'm happy.

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval !!!

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Congrats on your Amex Platinum approval! Enjoy your new card! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 15
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

YOU...

awesome congratulations GIF by Slanted Studios

BIG CONGRATS on your AmEx Platinum Approval!!!

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 7 of 15
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the card, a truly wonderful addition to have.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 8 of 15
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 15
LittleSal
Frequent Contributor

Congrats. Great card!!!
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.