Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Platinum

tag
sgmjqb
Established Member

Approved for Amex Platinum

Today, I was approved for the Amex Platinum. Also, I have other Amex cards which are:

Amex Delta Skymile Plantinum - $5K CL

Amex Delta Skymile Gold - $1K CL

Amex Hilton Honors - $1K CL

The question is should keep those cards open? They are all less than a year old, I always PIF and have no current balance. My credit scores are EQ 702

TU 687

EX 668

My BK Chapter 13 was in 2013. My other cards are as follows:

Discover $6.5K CL

American AA $6K CL

NFCU  Visa $24K CL

Zero Balance on allm of them. What should be my course of action moving forward to get all 3 of my scores about 700. Do I need to cancel or close any of the cards are keep them all. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex Platinum

@sgmjqb wrote:

Today, I was approved for the Amex Platinum. Also, I have other Amex cards which are:

The question is should keep those cards open? They are all less than a year old, I always PIF and have no current balance. My credit scores are EQ 702

TU 687

EX 668

Discover $6.5K CL

American AA $6K CL

NFCU  Visa $24K CL

Zero Balance on allm of them. What should be my course of action moving forward to get all 3 of my scores about 700. Do I need to cancel or close any of the cards are keep them all. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Congrats on your approval. You certainly don't want to close a card before a year. Good way to sour that relationship. Especially if you received SUB!!!

Message 2 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 3 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!!!

Message 4 of 13
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@sgmjqb wrote:

TU 687

EX 668

Discover $6.5K CL

American AA $6K CL

NFCU  Visa $24K CL

@sgmjqb, If you want a little boost in your score, AZEO .. all zero except one. Let a $10-$20 balance report on one of your revolving credit card accounts every Month. 

ETA: A brief explanation of AZEO  ...

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Can-Someone-Please-Explain-This-Slowly-To-Me/...

Message 5 of 13
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 6 of 13
Traveler101
Established Contributor

Congrats!

Message 7 of 13
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@sgmjqb wrote:

Today, I was approved for the Amex Platinum.

Also, I have other Amex cards which are:

The question is should keep those cards open?

Congrats on your AMEX Platinum and overall success with AMEX!  Smiley Happy

I wouldn't close anything yet, as others have suggested.  Long term, you have two Delta cards with AF's after year one of $250 and $99.  Do you fly Delta enough to get value from either or both of these?  I wouldn't close one or both yet (too young) but you might need to eventually take a look at what to do unless you get a retention bonus on them. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approval! 👍

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex is funny when you close your cards before a year is up.   You don't want to upset them and get banned or cards canceled.   If you want to close them wait until after 1 year.   

@sgmjqb wrote:

TU 687

EX 668

Discover $6.5K CL

American AA $6K CL

NFCU  Visa $24K CL

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.