Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Starwoods Preferred Guest!!!! Rejected for BOA Travel rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Amex Starwoods Preferred Guest!!!! Rejected for BOA Travel rewards

I apped for the BOA Travel Rewards card and was rejected. I apped for the Starwoods Preferred Guest and was approved for 2800 SL

Equifax 657, Transunion 687, Experian 680.

Apped for a JCPenny card 1 month post bankruptcy falling off report. I started my effort to acquire real cards last March with the following:

March 2016: Freedom approval

March 2016: Discover It & Capital One Quick Silver approval (same day)

April 2016: Amex Blue Cash Preferred approval (changed to Everyday no fee a few months ago)

May 2016: Citi Double Cash approval

October 2016: Chase Amazon Visa approval

November 2016: Citi Costco Anywhere Visa approval

December 2016: Amex Hilton HHonors approval

February 2017: Amex SPG approval!!!

Honestly, I have good rejections such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Capital One Venture (No longer a card I find interesting after carefully reviewing benefits of other cards), Chase Freedom Unlimited. Just rejected for BOA Travel Rewards but approval for the SPG from Amex more than makes up for that. For a while I was a bit bummed that I've excluded myself from Chase's cards for a while, but I've decided to not let that interfere with my ability to enjoy cards from such awesome companies like Amex. I suspect my Fico scores would be in the low 700s if it wasn't for high inquiries. Equifax is by far the bureau that checked by Credit Unions and CC companies the most.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Amex Starwoods Preferred Guest!!!! Rejected for BOA Travel rewards

After you lose like 10-15 points on INQs I don't see much more no matter how many you have. INQs 1-5 hurt the most, usually 1-2 points each-then after that not much. You would probably gain 15-20 on your scores if you got rid of your INQs. Plus INQs don't count much in a FICO score.

How is your Utilization? That and payment history are both 30-35% of your score. Utilization always blows my mind. If you are not below 10% do that and watch your scores shoot up.

You are right-some denials hurt and some don't. Smiley Happy

Congrats on your approval. Great card and company to get in with.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Amex Starwoods Preferred Guest!!!! Rejected for BOA Travel rewards

I probably have between 10-15% of total available credit at the moment. I'm looking forward to the effects of getting my utilization down below 10. Current offer was the 35000 Starwood points. 25000 for 3K in 90 days and an additional 10000 points for spending 2K more before 6 months is up.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations, Seekerofthe800! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations Seeker. I am a Marriott fan and now SPG! Sounds like a great card! Enjoy!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! What a year! Similar to mine haha. What a difference a year makes huh? Keep it up! 

Message 6 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

On fireSmiley Happy You have picked some great cards, enjoy them wiselySmiley Wink
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to say that the Quicksilver has been one of my least favorite cards overall. I feel like it is the most ugly card design wise and outside of the bonus, it has basically become a sock drawer card.
Message 8 of 10
trant3
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have to say that the Quicksilver has been one of my least favorite cards overall. I feel like it is the most ugly card design wise and outside of the bonus, it has basically become a sock drawer card.

I agree, the QS is one hideous looking card, I actually close mine a while back, partly due to the asthestics (I know, thats absurd). The SPG though, has a really nice matte finish

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your newest approval and the past ones as well! You have a great lineup of cards there Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.