cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex green and premier gold, any reason to keep both?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Amex green and premier gold, any reason to keep both?

Hey guys, just received my premier gold card as well as the green card. I applied for both and got both. Definitely want to keep the gold to get the 25k bonus points but figured may keep both and decide which one to keep before the year is up. Both have no annual fee for first year. Any idea if this is a good idea or not? I guess I would have to reapply if I cancelled now unless there is a way to upgrade or downgrade from one card. Let me know what you think

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
RonDawg
Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex green and premier gold, any reason to keep both?

The Green and the Gold are both charge cards.  The gold offers more but for a higher fee.  Both are free the first year.  The PRG card does not charge a fee for additional cards untill you pass 5 cards.  The green charges for more then one card.  The green does not offer bonus MR points like the PRG card does.   The green is just the basic entry level AmEx Charge card.   I have the PRG card and I don't see any reason to have any other charge card unless its the Platinum card.  You can not upgrade the card for 1 year.  Best Bet keep them both no reason to close either of them. After the year is up you can make a choice what one you want to keep based on how much you use the cards.

I hope this helps.

Good Luck.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 2 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

MAY I KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE AND AAOA AND ANY BADDIE ???

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 15
RonDawg
Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

MAY I KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE AND AAOA AND ANY BADDIE ???

Just wondering, does your question have anything to do with him making a choice on keeping either of the cards?

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
Message 4 of 15
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Probably no reason to keep both.  But which one to keep, if you don't keep both, will have to be up to you.

In hindsight, probably best to only app for cards that you really want and not app for another card until you know the fate of the first app.

Message 5 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I see no reason to keep both other than backdating for account age. I'm eyeing the PR gold as a future card so I would probably keep gold over green.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 15
RonDawg
Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I see no reason to keep both other than backdating for account age. I'm eyeing the PR gold as a future card so I would probably keep gold over green.

Just saying why waste an inquiry.  But your right the Green will not give you anything that the PRG card will not give you. The PRG card gives bonus MR and access to Gold Card events and a few other gold card perks.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, I am 99.9% sure the gold is going to be kept. I think I may just go ahead and cancel it unless there's a reason leaving it open may boost my credit score. I understand it's a charge so I doubt it but let me know if I'm wrong.

FYI I already activated the card. I have a blue card as well. My gold and blue are tied to the same online user account but trying to add the green to that same user account did not work. I was asked to create a new account for that card. Hmm... I think I'll just cancel the green and simplify this.

Message 8 of 15
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 9 of 15
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

When I hit 1 year w/ my Zync NPSL, I'll be apping for a MR points offer PRG!

Go with the Gold!

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.