cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for BJ's Perks MC - 1st Non-Subprime card!!

tag
hpotterfan77
Regular Contributor

Approved for BJ's Perks MC - 1st Non-Subprime card!!

I'm in complete shock.  I've been working hard the last 8 month to pay off all my old debt from 3 years ago.  My credit  scores are finally reporting only current stuff for the most part with no delinquent balances and today, I got a pre-approval for the BJ's perks MC so I pulled the trigger and bam, approved for $1K SL which is fine with me.  Highest limit non-store card!  I'm so excited!  I'm wondering though now if I should close my Total Visa card.  It's one of my lowest limits.  It's 9 months old and will hit the annual fee mark in September.

Starting Scores (9/19): EQ - 474/TU - 528/EX - 502
Current Scores (09/22): EQ - 617- TU - 638/EX - 647
Comenity M/C - $6730.00, BJs Perks MC - $2800.00, Credit One - $1200.00, Credit One - $800.00, NFCU -$6300.00, Care Credit - $5000.00, William Sonoma - $3500.00, Overstock - $4100.00, Pottery Barn - $2000.00>
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Approved for BJ's Perks MC - 1st Non-Subprime card!!

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 2 of 25
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Good job on the rebuild, you are to be congratulated Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 25
EverForward
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your BJ's Perks MC approval! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@hpotterfan77 wrote:

I'm wondering though now if I should close my Total Visa card.  It's one of my lowest limits.  It's 9 months old and will hit the annual fee mark in September.

If you do close that card be sure to check it monthly for a loooooooong time to make sure no fee(s) jump on there and undoes all your progress you worked so hard on.  Congrats to you!

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 5 of 25
jmos
Regular Contributor

Congrats on your approval!!

Message 6 of 25
hpotterfan77
Regular Contributor

Yes, I've heard of the fee trap with them.  I just don't want it to hurt my credit if I close it.  I know it stays on your reports for 10 years but will closing it hurt?

Starting Scores (9/19): EQ - 474/TU - 528/EX - 502
Current Scores (09/22): EQ - 617- TU - 638/EX - 647
Comenity M/C - $6730.00, BJs Perks MC - $2800.00, Credit One - $1200.00, Credit One - $800.00, NFCU -$6300.00, Care Credit - $5000.00, William Sonoma - $3500.00, Overstock - $4100.00, Pottery Barn - $2000.00>
Message 7 of 25
tbque
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the BJ's Perks MC approval and continued success with the rebuild!

Message 8 of 25
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@hpotterfan77 wrote:

I'm in complete shock.  I've been working hard the last 8 month to pay off all my old debt from 3 years ago.  My credit  scores are finally reporting only current stuff for the most part with no delinquent balances and today, I got a pre-approval for the BJ's perks MC so I pulled the trigger and bam, approved for $1K SL which is fine with me.  Highest limit non-store card!  I'm so excited!  I'm wondering though now if I should close my Total Visa card.  It's one of my lowest limits.  It's 9 months old and will hit the annual fee mark in September.

Congrats on your approval!! Your hard work is showing rewards!! 🏆 

Message 9 of 25
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@hpotterfan77 wrote:

Yes, I've heard of the fee trap with them.  I just don't want it to hurt my credit if I close it.  I know it stays on your reports for 10 years but will closing it hurt?

You are replacing a $300 limit with a $1000 limit and though the Visa is not very old I would suspect it will affect your age of open accts. but by how much idk, I wouldn't think a lot but I'm no expert here.  @Anonymous is who I turn to so "hello, hello" paging the BIRDSmiley Very HappySmiley Wink

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.