cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Bank of America Alaska Airlines card, $3,200 CL, no BofA CD required

tag
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

Re: Approved for Bank of America Alaska Airlines card, $3,200 CL, no BofA CD required

My mom has a B of A card with no other relationship and they are soliciting her for another. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Bank of America Alaska Airlines card, $3,200 CL, no BofA CD required

Congrats on the approval, though a bummer that it's not the product you wanted. 

Just another reason for me to lean towards other Banks, I don't like when they do this either. It's happend once before, though much earlier in my rebuild.

I've avoided BoA CC for quite some time due to my actual relationship with them, and not keeping much cash in my accounts there.

I do fly Alska more often than not, or most other carriers. So this card does appeal to me from time to time, especcialy with this most recent offer! 

However, the recent DPs for the DC Power Visa have left me hesitant to app any cards ATM. Especially one who likes to switch products at their whim. BTW, what CR did they pull?

Message 12 of 16
ratchada
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the approval, though a bummer that it's not the product you wanted. 

Just another reason for me to lean towards other Banks, I don't like when they do this either. It's happend once before, though much earlier in my rebuild.

I've avoided BoA CC for quite some time due to my actual relationship with them, and not keeping much cash in my accounts there.

I do fly Alska more often than not, or most other carriers. So this card does appeal to me from time to time, especcialy with this most recent offer! 

However, the recent DPs for the DC Power Visa have left me hesitant to app any cards ATM. Especially one who likes to switch products at their whim. BTW, what CR did they pull?

Okay, it's much better than I thought when I first posted being upset about it being a "Platinum Plus." I just got off the phone with Bank of America, and those huge differences between the two types of cards are a thing of the past. Even with the lower version of the card, I still get 40k miles after $2k spend, plus the $100 statement credit that was promised in the offer I responded to. Apparently they had gotten lots of flak about that bait-and-switch move, and rightly so...so they actually responded positively.

They pulled Experian (mine is 744). I still don't really understand why they gave me such a low CL (apparently you have to get $5k or better to qualify for the "Signature Visa" version of the card)...I have multiple cards with CLs over $5k. But oh well, I got what I wanted, 40k Alaska miles just based on organic spending...with the miles I already have, very close to my goal of a first class Cathay Pacific award flight from SFO to BKK (60k miles, one-way).

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 13 of 16
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: I Re: Approved for Bank of America Alaska Airlines card, $3,200 CL, no BofA CD required

@ratchada wrote:

Bastards!!! I got hosed!

They gave me the FAR inferior "Visa Platinum Plus" and not the "Visa Signature" that I applied for. They don't tell you this, nor do they explain the vastly inferior benefits of the "Platinum:" instead of a SUB of 40,000 miles for $2k MSR, you get a paltry 5,000 miles for $1k MSR, and instead of a $100 statement credit, you get a $50 (yearly) statement credit for Alaska purchases. The annual fee is $50 (as opposed to $75 for the Signature). I had to find all this out on various blogs, after I saw in my BofA account that they had given me the "Platinum Plus." I'm a very unhappy customer now.

I was going to reply and have you check this. Typically you need a $5,000 credit limit to get the Signature otherwise you get the Platinum Plus. Somewhere in the application terms, it states that you will either get the Platinum or the Signature. I don't like the way they do that at all.

edit: Do they let you recon the higher credit limit?

Message 14 of 16
ratchada
Contributor

Re: I Re: Approved for Bank of America Alaska Airlines card, $3,200 CL, no BofA CD required

@randomguy1 wrote:

@ratchada wrote:

Bastards!!! I got hosed!

They gave me the FAR inferior "Visa Platinum Plus" and not the "Visa Signature" that I applied for. They don't tell you this, nor do they explain the vastly inferior benefits of the "Platinum:" instead of a SUB of 40,000 miles for $2k MSR, you get a paltry 5,000 miles for $1k MSR, and instead of a $100 statement credit, you get a $50 (yearly) statement credit for Alaska purchases. The annual fee is $50 (as opposed to $75 for the Signature). I had to find all this out on various blogs, after I saw in my BofA account that they had given me the "Platinum Plus." I'm a very unhappy customer now.

I was going to reply and have you check this. Typically you need a $5,000 credit limit to get the Signature otherwise you get the Platinum Plus. Somewhere in the application terms, it states that you will either get the Platinum or the Signature. I don't like the way they do that at all.

edit: Do they let you recon the higher credit limit?

Read my newer post...turns out they now both have the same benefits, at least the ones that matter to me (mainly the SUB of 40k miles). So no, I didn't try to recon the CL.

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 15 of 16
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!!!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.