Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Capital one Platinum!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Capital one Platinum!

I started my credit report journey this past March by getting a credit builder loan via self lender and a secured discover it card in July.

My credit has long been pretty abysmal and it feels good to finally be taking some steps to remedy it. Yesterday on a whim I decided to go to the capital one pre qualification page (in the past would only pre qualify for the secured card) and to my utter shock I qualified for the nonsecured Capital one Platinum card. I then went through the actual application and instantly approved!

What a great feeling that was... Now make no mistake my fico 8 score is 606 which is still pretty darn bad and they weren't about to approve me for a high limit (it's only 300 dollar limit to start) but definite progress is being made.

Can't wait to receive my new card!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approved for Capital one Platinum!

Congrats on your Capital One Platinum approval! Excellent step in the right direction! Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

On a side note around early April when my self lender loan is fully paid off and the funds returned to me I am leaning strongly towards getting one more card and then just gardening for six months to a year before considering a fourth card (don't want to get too many cards too quickly)

Does this sound like a sound strategy?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I started my credit report journey this past March by getting a credit builder loan via self lender and a secured discover it card in July.

My credit has long been pretty abysmal and it feels good to finally be taking some steps to remedy it. Yesterday on a whim I decided to go to the capital one pre qualification page (in the past would only pre qualify for the secured card) and to my utter shock I qualified for the nonsecured Capital one Platinum card. I then went through the actual application and instantly approved!

What a great feeling that was... Now make no mistake my fico 8 score is 606 which is still pretty darn bad and they weren't about to approve me for a high limit (it's only 300 dollar limit to start) but definite progress is being made.

Can't wait to receive my new card!

Super Congrats on your Capital One Platinum $300 SL!!! Smiley Very Happy

All of us have to start somewhere, and the most important thing for

you is that you got started and took action. You should also know that

you should be able to product change (PC) your Platinum to a Quicksilver

anytime after the first statement cuts and after your scores rise. So garden

well, and you'll be on the path to much higher limits in the future. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks so much for taking time to share with us.

Please keep us posted on your progress. Best of luck! Smiley Very Happy

P.S. You only mentioned one FICO score of 606 in your post.

But I'm assuming that Cap One did a triple pull on all 3 reports.

Is this correct? If not, please let us know so we can keep track

for data point purposes. Congrats once again!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!! This is a huge step, and arguably one of the most important steps you will take in your journey. Capital One was the first banks that gave me a chance, and it's been upward progress since. I started my journey in March of this year, with scores 100 points less than yours. Today, I am making a dramatic push for 700+ in under a year!

Spend your Inq wisely, keep your utilization low, and simultaneously attack your baddies (if applicable). Continue grabbing the low hanging fruit, and embracing the small victories as they present themselves! You're making excellent progress 👌🏾🙌🏾
Message 5 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Let your new card report for a few months. It takes on average 1-2 statement periods before Cap1 reports to CRA. 

If this is your only credit card, you should expect to see a rise in your score.

After a few months, start checking Discover for pre approvals.

Also, if you are a member of any local credit union, they will frequently have "starter cards".

Good luck!

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
On a side note around early April when my self lender loan is fully paid off and the funds returned to me I am leaning strongly towards getting one more card and then just gardening for six months to a year before considering a fourth card (don't want to get too many cards too quickly)

Does this sound like a sound strategy?

When you pay off your only open installment loan, your score is going to drop.  If you are going to apply for another card, I would do it before the loan is closed.

Message 7 of 9
MartyWrite75
Valued Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!

April 2024: Experian 769; Equifax 779; Transunion 781

Cards I Have:
Cap One QS: $600 (Sock drawer) || Cap One QS (#2): $6,200 (Sock drawer) || Discover It: $11,400 || Cap One Walmart: $600 (Sock drawer) || AMEX BCP: $8,900 || Amazon Prime Store Card: $10,000 || FNBO Rewards Visa: $2,600 || Discover Cash Back: $5,500 || Citi Custom Cash: $9,500 || Verizon VS Visa: $10,000 || Amex Hilton Honors: $10,000 || Amazon (Chase) Prime Rewards (VS): $9,500

Wishlist Cards:
Paypal Mastercard || Bread Mastercard

Gardening to 10/2024(ideally)
Total Utilization: 11%
Inquiries: Exp: (1) Trans: (0) Equif: (0)

Message 8 of 9
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval. I would definitely start another SSL loan as it is advised to have atleast 3 secured/unsecured cards and a loan to help maximize your score.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.