Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Chase Freedom Flex $7500 limit

tag
MsGyst2020
Established Member

Approved for Chase Freedom Flex $7500 limit

I c-a-n-n-o-t believe Chase approved me... this is the beginning of a complete turnaround in my credit.  This time last year my credit was at about 590.  I started working on improving my credit, knowing that I planned to move in June 2021.  I'm a renter in NYC so my credit has to be at least decent or I wouldn't get anything nice.  I ended up getting an apartment that I'm over the moon for and I'm moving at the end of the month. I've started getting prequal offers in the mail and on Sunday I decided to take a chance and see what I would prequalify for.  I tried Chase first because I bank there, and I was shocked when it said "We have a match for you!"  I applied and was approved with a $7,500 limit - they pulled Experian (696) and Transunion (720).  My previous highest limit was a CapOne QS card at $1,250. My total credit limit until yesterday was $4,650, so this should raise my score eventually since one of the negatives on my report is low available credit. After I got approved for the Chase card I thought maybe I should try the Amazon card because it's also Chase.  Unfortunately, that was a no from them. 

Today I was checking out some prequalification offers and I'm not sure what to do.  In all soft pulls only, Ikea Projekt came back at $1,800, Apple is at $3,000, and FNBO nearly knocked me out of my chair with $15,000.  I haven't gone through and applied for anything additional yet but I'm wondering if I should just apply for a couple of things now and that way all of the inquiries are at once.  For reference, I have (had) 1 inquiry (the rental company) and no balance on any of my cards.  Any advice?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: Approved for Chase Freedom Flex $7500 limit

Congratulations on a really nice Chase approval.

You generally don't want to have all of your cards with a 0 balance. FICO will hit you with the "all zero penalty", not showing credit usage. 

Usually you want at least 1 card to report a balance (not carry a balance) and then pay it off by the due date.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 17
babygirl1256
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Chase Freedom Flex approval.

Starting FICO 8 Score in 06/2019: EQ-625, TU-649, EX-640
Current FICO 8 Score in 06/2021: EQ-796, TU-806, EX-812
Goal FICO 8 Score in 06/2022: EQ-825, TU-850, EX-850
Message 3 of 17
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Chase Freedom Flex approval

Message 4 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Give Chase time and use the FF properly and you will be able to get more cards from them. Grats on the approval Smiley Happy

If FNBO is pre qual you at 15K I would go for it.

Message 5 of 17
MsGyst2020
Established Member

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

You generally don't want to have all of your cards with a 0 balance. FICO will hit you with the "all zero penalty", not showing credit usage. 

Usually you want at least 1 card to report a balance (not carry a balance) and then pay it off by the due date.

Thanks!  I bought a rug from HomeGoods last week but paid it when it posted (bought 6/14, paid 6/15) and I bought a couch from Wayfair on Friday that hasn't posted to my card yet.  I was planning to pay it off as soon as it does, but do you recommend I pay all but maybe $50? 

Message 6 of 17
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@MsGyst2020 wrote:

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Thanks!  I bought a rug from HomeGoods last week but paid it when it posted (bought 6/14, paid 6/15) and I bought a couch from Wayfair on Friday that hasn't posted to my card yet.  I was planning to pay it off as soon as it does, but do you recommend I pay all but maybe $50? 

You could go as low as $5-10. 

A lot of people recommend to keep it under 9%.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 7 of 17
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your CFF approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 8 of 17
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Congrats on your first big limit 😌

Message 9 of 17
JLRDC909
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your Chase approval. Just as an FYI, if you get one approval from Chase, STOP!  It's tempting to try for another but that's when Chase has been known to shut people down!  

FNBO has been rolling out this high limits from what the word on the street is. They are a good bank, been known to be conservative, my guess is they are trying to drum up cardholders as this card doesn't seem to be geofenced like some of their others. 

JR
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.