Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Chase World of Hyatt: Going Against "Conventional Wisdom"

tag
ratchada
Contributor

Approved for Chase World of Hyatt: Going Against "Conventional Wisdom"

I was approved two days ago for the Chase World of Hyatt card, with a $12,200 CL. MSR is the usual sucky two-tiered deal they came up with about a year ago, $3k within 3 months for 30k Hyatt points, and another $15k spend (2x points for what's usually non-bonus spend) within 6 months if you want the "full" 60k points (this is an awful setup and a huge scam, IMO, but what can you do? I do value Hyatt points a lot). This is my fourth Chase card, with by far the largest CL they've given me. A few things I think are interesting about this approval:

1. After three long years, I got out from 5/24 on Nov. 14, and applied for the card on Nov. 15 (I have a trip coming up and some big purchases to make, and I wanted to use the card for those). I had always thought the conventional wisdom was "wait until the first of the next month if you get out from 5/24 in the middle of a given month," but several folks on the r/churning Subreddit insisted that was a thing of the past. All the credit card blogs still propagate the existence of that "rule," though.

2. I applied and promptly got the dreaded "7-10 day message," which conventional wisdom holds is pretty much code for being declined...so I gave up on the idea of the card and made my purchases using other cards. Then,  on Wednesday, I got a message from Chase to call to "provide more information"...all they wanted was to verify that it was really me applying for the card (seriously? I use your bank as my main bank and have 3 credit cards with you, and you can't be sure who I am?)...boom! Approved over the phone.

3. I've also long heard the conventional wisdom that Chase can't expedite co-branded cards, only actual Chase cards...and this was in fact told to me by the agent who approved me over the phone when I told him I'm leaving the country the middle of next week and didn't trust USPS to get the card to me in time. Nevertheless, he transferred me to a different agent, who told me to call back on Friday since the card wasn't fully linked with Hyatt yet...I did, and voila! The card was sent out yesterday via UPS 2 day delivery, and will arrive on Monday. Too late for the large purchases I've already made, but definitely in time for my international trip and several upcoming Hyatt stays. And while I'll never hit $15k spend within six months, I do have taxes and such coming up that I can use to get at least a chunk of those "extra" points beyond 30k.

The moral of the story: don't believe everything you hear about card application "rules"...at least not all of the time!

EX (Fico 8): 755 TU (Vantage 3): 815 EQ (Vantage 3): 791
Amex Platinum; Amex Schwab Platinum; Chase Sapphire Reserve $19,800; Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $16,300; Chase World of Hyatt $12,200; Amex Hilton Aspire $11,500; Citi Double Cash $12,300; Citi Business AA Platinum Select $10,400; Citi AA MileUp $7,700; Citi Premier $2,500; Amex Everyday $5,000; Chase World of Hyatt Business $5,500; Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000; Chase Ink Cash $5,000; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Business $5,000; Chase IHG Premier $5,000; CapOne Quicksilver One $500
Oldest account: March 2018; Youngest account: July 2023
Store cards: Amazon (Synchrony) $1,000
Goals: EX 760 by middle of 2023
Wanted cards: Barclay Aviator Red; Chase Ink Preferred; Chase Ritz-Carlton
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Approved for Chase World of Hyatt: Going Against "Conventional Wisdom"

Congrats on your Chase World of Hyatt approval!!!

Message 2 of 12
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your new Chase card approval.

Message 3 of 12
heeseon
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations

TU789 EQ786 EX791(05/23)
Message 4 of 12
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ratchada wrote:

I was approved two days ago for the Chase World of Hyatt card, with a $12,200 CL. MSR is the usual sucky two-tiered deal they came up with about a year ago, $3k within 3 months for 30k Hyatt points, and another $15k spend (2x points for what's usually non-bonus spend) within 6 months if you want the "full" 60k points (this is an awful setup and a huge scam, IMO, but what can you do? I do value Hyatt points a lot). This is my fourth Chase card, with by far the largest CL they've given me. A few things I think are interesting about this approval:

1. After three long years, I got out from 5/24 on Nov. 14, and applied for the card on Nov. 15 (I have a trip coming up and some big purchases to make, and I wanted to use the card for those). I had always thought the conventional wisdom was "wait until the first of the next month if you get out from 5/24 in the middle of a given month," but several folks on the r/churning Subreddit insisted that was a thing of the past. All the credit card blogs still propagate the existence of that "rule," though.

2. I applied and promptly got the dreaded "7-10 day message," which conventional wisdom holds is pretty much code for being declined...so I gave up on the idea of the card and made my purchases using other cards. Then,  on Wednesday, I got a message from Chase to call to "provide more information"...all they wanted was to verify that it was really me applying for the card (seriously? I use your bank as my main bank and have 3 credit cards with you, and you can't be sure who I am?)...boom! Approved over the phone.

3. I've also long heard the conventional wisdom that Chase can't expedite co-branded cards, only actual Chase cards...and this was in fact told to me by the agent who approved me over the phone when I told him I'm leaving the country the middle of next week and didn't trust USPS to get the card to me in time. Nevertheless, he transferred me to a different agent, who told me to call back on Friday since the card wasn't fully linked with Hyatt yet...I did, and voila! The card was sent out yesterday via UPS 2 day delivery, and will arrive on Monday. Too late for the large purchases I've already made, but definitely in time for my international trip and several upcoming Hyatt stays. And while I'll never hit $15k spend within six months, I do have taxes and such coming up that I can use to get at least a chunk of those "extra" points beyond 30k.

The moral of the story: don't believe everything you hear about card application "rules"...at least not all of the time!

Congratulations on your approval, and thanks for the detailed data.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 12
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval! I also dislike the SUB tier. I would rather have the 50k back than this 2 tier 60k. I can see why they do it though, but still.

Message 6 of 12
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Chase World of Hyatt approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 7 of 12
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval! Thanks for all the DPs

Message 8 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Nicely done, grats on the World of Hyatt card!!

Message 9 of 12
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Hyatt approval 👍🏼

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.