Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Delta Skymiles Platinum

tag
fsalsa2
Regular Contributor

Approved for Delta Skymiles Platinum

Hey guys, I've been a member of the forums for a few months but have been using the forums for the last year or so in my journey to learn more about credit. One of the credit card companies I've been trying to get a card with for the past 3 years has finally approved me for a delta skymiles platinum card. Definitely surprised and will continue building a relationship with them. For anyone who's had a long relationship with Amex, what advice can you give about applying for other credit or charge cards in the future? 
Experian (fico 8) 645 

Experian (fico 9) 674

NFCU Cash Rewards: $24,000
NFCU More Rewards: $24,000
NFCU Visa Signature Go Rewards: $29,600
Capital One Quicksilver: $500
Capital One Quicksilver One: $500
Military Star Card: $ 3,400
Venmo Credit Card: $5,400
USAA Platinum Visa: $4,000
American Express Delta Skymiles Reserve: $10,000
American Express Platinum
X1 Credit Card: $ 27,500
Chase Freedom Flex: $ 3,700
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
silver_idle
Established Contributor

Re: Approved for Delta Skymiles Platinum

@fsalsa2 wrote:

Hey guys, I've been a member of the forums for a few months but have been using the forums for the last year or so in my journey to learn more about credit. One of the credit card companies I've been trying to get a card with for the past 3 years has finally approved me for a delta skymiles platinum card. Definitely surprised and will continue building a relationship with them. For anyone who's had a long relationship with Amex, what advice can you give about applying for other credit or charge cards in the future? 
Experian (fico 8) 645 

Experian (fico 9) 674

Congrats. AMEX uses Experian & FICO8 scores for that report and based on your score, I would probably recommend that you use your card for about 3 to 6 months (6 or more is better) until you get closer to 700 for FICO8. Of course there are many factors they may consider such as what is on your report thats suppressing your scores, income, etc., so you could probably apply right now for another card and *might* get approved, however youre likely borderline with them so I wouldnt push it. If youre rebuilding, you might want to garden for about a year.

Message 2 of 20
fsalsa2
Regular Contributor

That's a valid point and I definitely don't want to push my luck. Here's some data that might help you or anyone else in assisting me with deciding whether to hold of or apply for another Amex card. I will likely just hold off for 3-6 months and then apply for another card.

Credit profile:

AAOA: 4 years and 2 months

Overall Credit Utilization: 51% with overall utilization being adjusted to roughly 35% with a recent CLI and the new Amex card

inquiries: 5 in the past year 

Message 3 of 20
fsalsa2
Regular Contributor

Additionally my initial Credit limit with Amex is $1700.

Message 4 of 20
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@fsalsa2 wrote:

That's a valid point and I definitely don't want to push my luck. Here's some data that might help you or anyone else in assisting me with deciding whether to hold of or apply for another Amex card. I will likely just hold off for 3-6 months and then apply for another card.

Credit profile:

AAOA: 4 years and 2 months

Overall Credit Utilization: 51% with overall utilization being adjusted to roughly 35% with a recent CLI and the new Amex card

inquiries: 5 in the past year 

@fsalsa2 wrote:

Additionally my initial Credit limit with Amex is $1700.

Any negatives remarks from any accounts? If not then the only thing that would be suppressing your score would be the utilization and with you having a SL of $1.7k, thats usually a good sign based on many other DP but you might want to continue checking the prequalification page to see what prequalification offers they might have for you. Maybe others will chime in with some DP for you. Best of luck!

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on getting the card Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 20
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 7 of 20
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 8 of 20
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations!

Message 9 of 20
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your skymiles card Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.