Not applicable

Re: Approved for First Amex Card (Cash Magnet) at 19

Congratulations! 

Message 23 of 35
Deuter
Regular Contributor

@Matthew1551 wrote:

I just got approved for the Amex Cash Magnet with a CL of $2,000! I'm 19 and only a year and 3 months into my credit journey!

FICO:

EX 725

TU 732

Currently at 5/24 (Now 6/24) with my last approval being a CF at $2,500

Income about $30k

So currently my stack is:

PayPal Credit (Jan 19) $2,000 | Discover It (Mar 19) $1,500 | Closed Account (Jun 19) | Apple Card (Aug 19) $2,000 | Chase Freedom (Jan 20) $2,500 | Amex Cash Magnet (Apr 20) $2,000

My goal was to get in with Amex early and take advantage of the SuB with upcoming purchases! My next card is likely to be the CSP in March 2021. Thanks!

I'm amazed by your strategy, very methodological just like me. You have the headstart that started credit at 19. I did at 17 but outside of the USA, so i just started my first CC in the US at 28. I think the cards, lenders you have chosen are wise. I can see you in the long run with 50K limits *crosses fingers*... ahhh. and i know you want the Amex Plat? That's why you apped to the Cash Magnet right? hehe Smiley Tongue

Now, you are missing the Schwab bank account to take out money free from ATM internationally. Any maybe get an Roth IRA, but most importantly do well in college and be a good person to others Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 35
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 25 of 35
Matthew1551
Established Member

I can see you in the long run with 50K limits *crosses fingers*... ahhh. and i know you want the Amex Plat? That's why you apped to the Cash Magnet right? hehe Smiley Tongue

Now, you are missing the Schwab bank account to take out money free from ATM internationally. Any maybe get an Roth IRA, but most importantly do well in college and be a good person to others Smiley Happy

I certainly hope I'm doing this the right way! Amex Platinum is the endgame, but I'm just a college student and there's no point now even though I was preapproved.

Schwab would be great, but I do have my Roth IRA set up at Fidelity as of now. They've been good so far, but I'm considering Schwab in the future for their branded Plat.

Thanks for your feedback!!

Current Wallet:

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations , and welcome to the AMEX family. Treat Amex well , and they will treat you well in return.

Message 27 of 35
elixerin
Established Contributor

i just realized we're almost rockin the same setup.. just turned 20 here. You're def making the right moves. Picked A1 lenders and at prime in credit, im also going for the Schwab Platinum next month for my "gateway" into investing so to speak Smiley Tongue been researching the Schwab platform heavily and i can tell you im pretty excited to get into it, really glad to see more active members around this age group to share more credit experiences from/to

CheersSmiley Happy

Message 28 of 35
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval! Great progress for being 19! 

Message 29 of 35
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.