cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Hilton Honors American Express!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Hilton Honors American Express!!!

I've been rebuilding my credit following a rough time 2 years ago, with my credit at my worst a 453 (Vantagescore 3.0). I went late on all my cards, and ended up charging off all but my AMEX everyday. Last year my car lease had ran out and I needed to buy it out or lease a new car. With no credit, I couldn't do either, and that was eye opening. So I started rebuilding my credit, paying off my bad debt, and keeping my utilization down. Come last month I got my score to a 639, but had a utilization of 37%. Paid the balance down to <10% and score went up to 655 this month. With my fiance and I attempting to plan our honeymoon, I applied for the Hilton Honors Surpass card now that I broke the 650 mark, but got instant decline. Application was a SP, and the decline letter showed my score from 2 months ago (610). Called to recon, but they used the same score and kept the decision.

Fast forward 4 weeks, and another round of on times and low util reported, so I tried my luck on the no AF card, figuring it was going to be a SP. This time, it asked about authorized users instead of seeing the secline screen. Before I left that screen, experian alerted me to the inquiry. Wasn't thrilled to have the HP, but hey it meant they used the most up to date info. Found out that I was approved with the SUB of 100k with $1k spend in 3 months (easy). Lowest CL at 1k and highest APR at 24%, but it's a start! This makes my 3rd open card after being completely careless with my credit and 2nd with AMEX so I'm thrilled! Needless to say, this card is going to get lots of use (and PIF before statement with that APR) and it puts us one step closer to having the honeymoon of our dreams and rebuilding my credit to where it needs to be.

PS: Anyone have ideas when to request 3x on the CLI? My Everyday preferred was my primary with $2-5k spend on it, but they still wont CLI me past $1k. Would it be plausable to believe that AMEX will CLI this card in a reasonable amount of time?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Re: Approved for Hilton Honors American Express!!!

Congrats on your AMEX Hilton Honors approval

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am glad that you where approved.

Thanks

Mark

Message 3 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the HH AMEX approval !

It's hard to predict when / how much they'll CLI but keep using the card well and hopefully you'll get bumped up !

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your AmEx Hilton Honors approval!!!

Message 5 of 22
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 6 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your HH approval!

Message 7 of 22
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approval!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (April 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 8 of 22
Bizambish
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Amex is a wonderful ecosystem and I've definitely made use of that card.

To answer your Q, you can ask for a 3x CLI on your 61st day from opening the account. Just be forewarned that these 1K SL cards typically grow very slowly if at all with Amex. It’s sort of their lowest bucket approval. So don’t get frustrated; it’s normal.
What you may do instead is wait until you’ve got a good history with them and grow your score more, then apply for a new card with Amex and you’ll likely get a much higher SL. You can then transfer the limits around to the card you want, and probably get decent CLIs from there.

Congrats again!

Start: Low 500’s
Most Recent: 738-745
Over 180K CL Club
Focusing on Delta, Hilton, Amex MR, Alaska miles, Citi TYP, and Chase UR
Message 9 of 22
Duriel
Frequent Contributor

Grats on your approval. I had seriously considered the Hilton Amex cards as I've been traveling a lot more lately and typically stay in Hilton properties anyway. But Amex won't budge on my BCP's 1000 limit. My last hotel stay authorized for over 1000 including incidentals, so that limit wouldn't work for me. 

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.