Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Total Rewards after credit freeze

tag
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

Approved for Total Rewards after credit freeze

I applied for TR Visa during my last major app spree. Went overboard with the apps, so I felt that this was a good time to freeze my reports. Then today, I received a letter from Comenity asking me to call. They verified some info, and I was approved for 2k.

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of all this credit. Too many introductory requirements to fulfill. And I'm getting confused about which one I should use at the register.

Here's a list of credit I obtained since closing on my house on 9/27/13;

Amex BCP 1k
Amex Blue Sky 5k
Chase Freedom 7k
Chase Slate 4k
Lowes 5k
OCCU Duck Card 1k
Total Rewards Visa 2k
Victoria's Secret $500 (shopping cart)

CLIs
NFL Visa 1k
Walmart
Amazon

At least I have nothing major to apply for in the next few years. Now I know how people end up with 90 inquiries.

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Approved for Total Rewards after credit freeze

Congratulations....I assume you want a CLI with Amex in a month or so. That many new accts may hinder your chances.
Message 2 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congarts again

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 8
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

I was looking forward to an Amex CLI at first, but now, it doesn't really matter to me. I'll probably still try. It's a SP anyway, right? I've been using it like crazy and have made 3 payments already. But with all the new accounts, I think I have enough credit for now.

Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 4 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:
I applied for TR Visa during my last major app spree. Went overboard with the apps, so I felt that this was a good time to freeze my reports. Then today, I received a letter from Comenity asking me to call. They verified some info, and I was approved for 2k.

Honestly, I'm kind of sick of all this credit. Too many introductory requirements to fulfill. And I'm getting confused about which one I should use at the register.

Here's a list of credit I obtained since closing on my house on 9/27/13;

Amex BCP 1k
Amex Blue Sky 5k
Chase Freedom 7k
Chase Slate 4k
Lowes 5k
OCCU Duck Card 1k
Total Rewards Visa 2k
Victoria's Secret $500 (shopping cart)

CLIs
NFL Visa 1k
Walmart
Amazon

At least I have nothing major to apply for in the next few years. Now I know how people end up with 90 inquiries.

This is why some thorough research and a good strategy always helps even if you're only applying for 2-3, or just anything in general.  This way it doesn't become an overwhelming task in managaing all those new accounts due to any spend and redemption requirements.  On the upside, you have a good mix of accounts that will age in parallel and there's just a few from your list where the sign-up bonuses will definitely make your efforts count.

Message 5 of 8
john398
Senior Contributor

fyi i got this card approved for 1500 but than called in automated system got a 2200 cli than when got card created account hit the LUV button and jumped to 3100 all with only one pull YMMV of course but dont think it hurts

Message 6 of 8
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

@FinStar - I've been very, VERY careful with my apps and rebuilding my credit since I joined this forum and learned a few things. Because my goal was to buy a house, it was easier. Now I kind of feel that I don't have anything to work towards. Of course, I will do everything I can to keep my credit clean. But I got crazy with the apps. I told myself that all I wanted was an Amex. Then when I was approved, I wanted more. I'm kicking myself now, but the damage is done. But I guess a year from now, it'll be a good kind of damage. Smiley Happy

@john398 - Same thing happened with my DH. He went from $1500 to $4500. They wouldn't go any further. They won't budge for me. I didn't even think I was approved. Saw the letter from Comenity and thought it was my denial letter. They pulled EQ and I have 30 inqs - many are recent.

Message 7 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:
@FinStar - I've been very, VERY careful with my apps and rebuilding my credit since I joined this forum and learned a few things. Because my goal was to buy a house, it was easier. Now I kind of feel that I don't have anything to work towards. Of course, I will do everything I can to keep my credit clean. But I got crazy with the apps. I told myself that all I wanted was an Amex. Then when I was approved, I wanted more. I'm kicking myself now, but the damage is done. But I guess a year from now, it'll be a good kind of damage. Smiley Happy

@john398 - Same thing happened with my DH. He went from $1500 to $4500. They wouldn't go any further. They won't budge for me. I didn't even think I was approved. Saw the letter from Comenity and thought it was my denial letter. They pulled EQ and I have 30 inqs - many are recent.

LOL "good damage" sounds about right.  At the end of the day, your efforts ended up with a very positive outcome.  Just keep things in check, don't overspend on those cards and treat the new seedlings well - they will grow for sure!  Best of luck on your credit journey! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.