cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for first Discover IT card (Cash Back)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for first Discover IT card (Cash Back)

I've checked Discover prequals a few times over the past several years and was never matched.  I checked last weekend after reducing existing utilization to 50% and no match.  I signed up for their free score monitoring and figured I'd wait it out.

Yesterday, I got an email asking if I wanted to check prequals so I decide to this morning.  Matched with Cash Back and Chrome!  Opted for Cash Back to take advantage of rotating 5% categories.

SL is only $750, but I'm just happy to finally have a no AF Discover that's not secured.  Should I call in for a recon on the SL or just let it ride and watch for auto CLI after several statement periods of usage?

Overall current utilization is 30%, annual salary is ~$160K with current highest card CL at $10K.  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Approved for first Discover IT card (Cash Back)

Curious what your scores are?  Seriously 500 at 160k income, granted your utilization is high and not sure of you DTI and other factors.  that is less than a days worth of work CL Smiley Happy.  Suppose it is an "in" with discover though and they don't really recon persay

Message 2 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No recon, work on whatever is holding you back and your second Discover most likely will be much better sl in a years timeSmiley Wink. Id still take $160k over ANY credit cardSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My last FICO 8 was around 605, but that was with the 50% utilization reporting.  I haven't gotten an update since dropping to 30%.  Even last week's Discover no-match reported a 604.  CapOne Creditwatch had me at 595 last weekend and my next update is tomorrow so I'm guessing I'll see a little jump.

My Credit Karma scores did update to TU 623 (+14) and EQ 619 (+15) yesterday after recognizing the 30% utilization.  I know people say don't depend on those scores, but at least as an indicator of movement they were pretty strong jumps.  

I do have one Best Buy CO still reporting a high balance so perhaps that's keeping the CL down?  It's my only derog.  My DTI is about 31%.

I've been rebuilding over the past 3 years or so, I guess I'm at the finish line as I setup the BB settlement for 6 monthly payments this week, though I may go ahead and pay it all as soon as I get the settlement letter from Citi just to have clean current reporting.

Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah, if you can pay it now, do so, always better to have something paid than have it lingerSmiley Wink
Message 5 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
No recon, work on whatever is holding you back and your second Discover most likely will be much better sl in a years timeSmiley Wink. Id still take $160k over ANY credit cardSmiley Wink

I was thinking the same thing! Lol. Congrats on a new Disco card! It will grow so don’t worry about the SL at all. Getting in with Disco is the start of a beautiful friendship. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 12
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

Congrats...definitely pay that co...and if possible, get it removed.  Even still, paying it is better than having it open.

Message 7 of 12
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congrats!!!!

Message 8 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Sweet and welcome to myFico Smiley Happy
Message 9 of 12
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Congrats on your approval

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.