Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Amex Pre quals solid? Should I apply for the gold?--------- UPDATE APPROVED

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are Amex Pre quals solid? Should I apply for the gold?--------- UPDATE APPROVED

Always wanted to get in with Amex. I was checking pre qual and it is showing me the Gold card with 35k points. Are these solid? I have started to rebuild my credit In March 2019, have a 90 day late from 8 months ago, opened 5 account In July and August. Should I jump on this offer or wait till the late ages to 1 year? AAoA recently hit 2 yr mark

Update: Applied both Amex Gold and Delta gold both were approved

Edit: since scores in siggy keep changing. EX Fico8 at time of approvals was 643
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are Amex Pre quals solid? Should I apply for the gold?

Go for the card you want.

The pre-qual is typically pretty solid but, since they have 18 cards to offer and only show 3 of them it's a mix of marketing and pre-qual.  Of course they want people to take the $250 AF over a $0 AF card.

With your EX score at ~640 I would expect a good chance of approval but, the limit will likely be on the lower side if not a bortderline approval for $500-$1000.

Message 2 of 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

To echo what @Anonymous  said, getting a card just to "get in" is really not a good idea especially when looking at a card with AF.

It seems that to a lot of people Amex math on Gold and Platinum works for 11 months and 30 days, then it does not. 

If you're trying to get in, get in with the right card. 

If they have a card you're interested in, and you're done your research, apply by all means. If you're going for gold because that's what they are offering, dont.

You have a very serious derog and a bunch of new accounts. Even if approved, Amex will utilize very short leash for sizeable period of time. 

I think it would be a lot better option for you to let what you have age, you'll be in a better place once they reach a year or even longer. 

That 90 day is going to be a deal breaker for a while. 

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I have pulled the trigger on Amex gold and approved. Immediately applied for Delta Skymiles gold and was approved for $1k. I should have waited another 6 months for Delta. Only one HP though
Message 4 of 14
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats x2 !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Amex Gold and Delta Gold approvals! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Holy X2 Approval!!! Congrats!!! Didnt see that coming Smiley LOL

You may have even shellshocked the algos to give up the cookies when you went in a second time Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big man status, congrats

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  I'm late to the conversation since you already got approved, but I can definitely stand by an AMEX pre-qual from my own experience.  I just happened to be checking pre-qual sites for kicks and pre-qual'd for an AMEX Gold.  I thought it was a mistake with my credit profile being what it is, but I app'd anyway.  I nearly hit the roof when I got approved Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just blank for a minute. I did not expect it. I hit submit and went to get a beer from the cooler(I read here that it's a good sign lol), when I came back I just stood there for like a minute seeing the approval. I was not prepared for the second card at all. I read about it being a single HP if lucky but was not prepared and somebody here said it had to be within 1 hr so I quickly searched through what co-branded cards were available and applied the most useful one for me and was shocked again to see the approval and no second HP.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.