Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As promised, complete list of month-long App-Spree results

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: As promised, complete list of month-long App-Spree results

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a newbie so bear with me. You literally applied for all of those cards at the same time and those were the results? Holy. Moly. Makes me want to apply for multiple cards all at one time in February when my scores should all be up in to the 700s.

Hey, BluffCityNomad!  Welcome to myfico.

Yep, sure did!  Smiley Happy I figured, it was better to apply for all of them at once instead of spreading them out.  It was a lot of work, but well worth it.  Now I sit in the garden watching my little seedlings grow.  

Just a quick warning:  It's easy to get caught up in the app-spree breeze, so take care not to get carried away with app'ing.  I tried to be deliberate about which cards I app'd for. Before I started the app-spree, I made a list of the cards I wanted and HOW I intended to use them.  ...and yes, I did stumble off the path.  I quickly checked myself before I wrecked myself.  Smiley Wink

Also, I went in fully expecting to get some denials. I resolved within myself that a denial was only a way for them to say - not now, but try later Smiley Wink  

Happy App'ing!

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm a newbie so bear with me. You literally applied for all of those cards at the same time and those were the results? Holy. Moly. Makes me want to apply for multiple cards all at one time in February when my scores should all be up in to the 700s.

He/She did awesome with their app spree! Still so jealous!

You're too funny!  The CC elfs were on my side - pure-d-luck!  I don't believe I would have had as good of run had spread it out.

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another newbie question. Don't all those cards add up to an absolute massive annual fee!?! Haha
Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Another newbie question. Don't all those cards add up to an absolute massive annual fee!?! Haha

Nope.  Only one card has an annual fee - the Amex Blue Cash Preferred.  All the others - fee-free! Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Mind=blown.
Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last question I swear. So you will just put tiny charges on all of them each month to make sure they don't get closed for inactivity?
Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Mind=blown.

My mind was blown too when I first joined this site a few months ago and seeing what eveyone was able to accomplish.  They inpired me.  I hope to inpire others as well.

I do wish I had waited a little longer for better fico scores.  Most of my APRs are ok, one or two were great, the others suck. I will negotiate them down as my score increase over time, but still.  Since I'm trying to improve my scores to get a house in the next year or two, I needed to build my portfolio to get my scores growing as quick as possible. So if you can, wait as long as you can for better fico scores.

Happy App'ing!

Message 27 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Last question I swear. So you will just put tiny charges on all of them each month to make sure they don't get closed for inactivity?

Ask as many questions that come to mind.  If I can answer, I will. If I can't, I'm sure some of the many knowledgeable folks on this forum will chime in. Smiley Happy

All have atleast one scheduled small charge that will occur monthly, but some serve other purposes as well.  

Amex  BCP = 6%groceries and when Discover does not have a better deal, 3% department stores, amazon

USAA Amex- 5% gas and 1% off all other purchases that don't fall into a specific category for other cards

Discover IT- 5% departments stores (when offered), and whatever rotating bonus offer that's better than any other.  Out of country travel.

Costco Everywhere - 4% off Costco gas as cheap as it is - oh, yeah, 3% off of restuarants & travel, and additional 2% off costco purchases (in addition to the 2% I already get for the executive membership) Love, LOVE Costco.

NFCU - main purpose was to have a MC - for the most part will have a small purchase only each month.  Their generous CLs also help in overall util %

PenFed - really wanted a no-fee at all card - for the just in case.  It will have a small purchase only each month.  Also again on the overall util%

During the holidays, I spread out the spending on the cards to keep util low on a per card basis - depending on what I'm buying.  I've already put about 2K each of 4 cards - all will be PIF after statement cuts this month.

But... I think that putting a small charge atleast once every 3 months or so should be sufficient.  You don't have to do more than that. But the above is how I use my cards.  YMMV. Smiley Happy

Hope that helps.

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

That was so incredibly helpful. I am learning a ton from this forum but also from this thread. Hopefully my questions can help others even though I'm sure I could find answers if I searched hard enough. Thank you.

NFCU. I have been reading about these CLs. Do I have to be affiliated with the Navy in any way shape or form to get this card?
Message 29 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
That was so incredibly helpful. I am learning a ton from this forum but also from this thread. Hopefully my questions can help others even though I'm sure I could find answers if I searched hard enough. Thank you.

NFCU. I have been reading about these CLs. Do I have to be affiliated with the Navy in any way shape or form to get this card?

No.  You can join via the Navy League (San Diego chapter only).  You don't have to live in San Diego to join through that chapter.  However, as far as I know, it's the San Diego chapter - and only that chapter - that will get you through the door if you don't have any other way in.

How to Join NFCU via the NLUS

If you follow the instructions in the post, you should be fine. Only be sure to follow the directions.  NFCU is a picky little bird.  

Also from my reading of the above, someone tried to discourage others from using this method by claiming this way was no longer valid.  Well, I joined using this method as recently as THIS month, so it's STILL valid. Here are the posts explaining that this method was never shut down.

Good luck and happy app'ing!

EDITED:

Actually I technically joined last month - but my membership wasn't completely approved until this month due to some documentation confusion. Smiley Wink

Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.