Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-CLI: Is Discover Run by Aliens?!

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Auto-CLI: Is Discover Run by Aliens?!

Maybe I should just give up trying to figure out how the folks at Discover make decisions. Or maybe they really are from another planet! Here's what happened this week:

Last week, I applied for a CLI on my Discover IT card. I've had the card since December 2018 and the SL has grown steadily. My last CLI was in June 2019 and brought me to a SL of $11,500. This is my second Discover IT card; the first one has a SL of about half that.

So last week I applied for a CLI as I do occasionally, just to see if Discover is amenable. As you know, it doesn't hurt to ask since Discover uses monthly soft pulls to determine eligibility for a CLI. My request was denied due to the usual "Too many accounts with balances," and "Balances on accounts too high", etc. At the time, the utilization on my card was about 48%.

Today, just a few days after receiving the letter from Discover about my latest CLI denial, I was astonished to receive an Email letting me know they'd granted me an auto-CLI to $14,000! The Email said, "Good news! We've increased your credit line. We've noticed your excellent credit management overall and increased your credit line to $14,000." Go figure!

Thanks, Discover, for the unexpected and welcome auto-CLI. But I sure wish I could figure out how they make decisions at Discover HQ...!

For reference point, FICO 8: EX 714, EQ 711, TU 721

Thick file, high income, low DTI

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Auto-CLI: Is Discover Run by Aliens?!

PhotoGrid_1587050921510.jpg

Message 2 of 22
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Message 3 of 22
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your PCLI!

Message 4 of 22
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your auto CLI!

|  
Message 5 of 22
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Discover auto-CLI!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your CLI.

Message 7 of 22
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

LOL, computers making all the decisions, sometimes seems no rhyme or reason. Grats to the auto luv Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot  Super Congrats on your Discover CLI to $14,000!!! Smiley Very Happy

How Lady Disco grants CLIs truly is a mystery to us all. Thanks for sharing! Smiley Very Happy 

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the CLI...

and who knows? 

Translation: WE ARE NOT RUN BY ALIENS.  PROMISE!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.