cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avant CB Card approved.... fooled again!

tag
acercode
Valued Member

Avant CB Card approved.... fooled again!

I don't really need it but fell for the CK $50 guarantee once again. 

$300 CL

1% CB

$59 AF

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
kickhard88
Contributor

Re: Avant CB Card approved.... fooled again!

doesnt avant have a prequalify where it shows how much you be approved or its nots accurate i never pulled the trigger on it

Message 2 of 20
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congrats, but you should be wary of their advertising/$50 guarantee. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 20
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Congrats on your approval, @acercode, even though it was disappointing. 

So is that how they get you on the $50 guarantee? 

An approval but with low limit or unappealing terms? Smiley Sad

If you don't need it and didn't expect the $59 AF, there's always the option to close it.  On the one hand, you've already taken the inquiry and new account hit.  But on the other hand, we often recommend to members that they close AF cards that are a financial drain unless they are a necessary evil for rebuilding.  I don't know your other cards or situation, so I won't say which way to go unless I know more. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 20
KingRue8500
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Avant Cash Back approval

Message 5 of 20
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Fooled again? You posted hoping to get denied for $50? Little lost here. Read the terms on all cards before applying. Since you already have it. Close it out before next years annual fee hits. By then you should be in better shape for better cards. For now it will help with rebuilding and gaining more history.

Message 6 of 20
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

Fooled again? You posted hoping to get denied for $50? Little lost here. Read the terms on all cards before applying. Since you already have it. Close it out before next years annual fee hits. By then you should be in better shape for better cards. For now it will help with rebuilding and gaining more history.

Good advise, thats exactly what i did. closed the AF and monthly fee cards at 11 months after i started getting better cards.

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 7 of 20
citymunky
Established Contributor

My understanding of the CK guarantee is that they will pay you $50 if you fail to get approved for the product. However, since you were approved, I don't see the problem. On the other hand, I wasn't aware that Avant offered a reward card. In either case, I was able to max out their CL and get rid of their AF in less than a year with good usage habits, although my card doesn't offer rewards.

Rebuilding since 2021

Closed CCs
USAA (Jul 2019| Settled CO), Jasper $1 CL (Jul21-Jul22), Sable $250CL{Secured} (Jan22-Jun23), CreditOne Platinum $750CL (Jul21-Aug23), Prosper $1.9K CL (Jan22-Apr24)

Starting FICO 8 Scores:
Current FICO 8 Scores:

Message 8 of 20
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@FireMedic1  wrote:  Fooled again? You posted hoping to get denied for $50? Little lost here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
@citymunky  wrote:  My understanding of the CK guarantee is that they will pay you $50 if you fail to get approved for the product. However, since you were approved, I don't see the problem.

I guess the post could be taken two ways @FireMedic1  and @citymunky .  

I thought @acercode  meant he hoped to get approved (due to the CK guarantee) but was disappointed in the terms with high AF, low rewards, low SL.   But I suppose it could also mean he expected to not be approved so that he could collect the $50.  Either way, the "fooled again" meant it didn't turn out like he expected. 

Something tells me CK rarely if ever pays that $50 guarantee. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 9 of 20
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

There are much less risky ways to earn 50 bucks. Now you're on the hook for 59. Dump it before the AF hits again at the end of 2023.

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.