cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBT CLI experience

Birdman7
Super Contributor

BBT CLI experience

So I finally got tired of this relatively low CL card and finally sprung for a CLI. They want to do a hard inquiry even though they'll give you a brand new card for a soft inquiry. But I don't want a new account.

Anyway, at the time I requested it, I was told I would have to give the amount I want and there would be no counteroffer, as it would be a yes or no.

Credit limit was $2000 I asked for $12,000. Couple days later I get a call saying I need to go into a branch with my ID because they didn't have a copy on file and to direct them to send it to the credit card department.

So I went to the branch, they had no idea what I was talking about. Ended up calling the number on the back of my credit card and they advised that the branch just needed to update the expiration date of my ID.

The branch employee complied and I told them it was done. (By the way, the CSR then told me counteroffers were possible and CLIs are in increments of 500.)

I drove down the road and got an alert that my credit was pulled again a second time. I was not amused.

So I called in and begin the horror and nightmare of trying to get the second hard inquiry recoded to a soft inquiry.  First they say I need to dispute it with the bureau, then I got to go into a branch and fill out a whole Lotta paperwork.

NO! I said no you made the error, you have the responsibility to fix it. I already know how this works. Went through it for eight months last year with you.

I believe I wrote a similar post about a year ago when they did a unauthorized HP and promised to recode it over and over again, until I stayed on them for about eight months when it finally was fixed.

Anyway the good news is the CLI was approved. Yay! Bad news is I have two HPs and I had planned to go for another with a lender that pulls the same bureau, so now I'm kind of screwed, thanks to BBT again.

Should take less than 30 days to fix the error, but last year it took probably eight months and going through the executive office. 😩

Just another reason why I do not like the FI. The customer service is terrible even if the card structures might be ok.

hopefully it will change for the better as they transition to Truist. 

-Scoring wisdom: Credit Scoring Primer, Payment History, Amount of Debt, Length of History/New Credit, Mix/Disputes/Freezes/Searches, Mortgage Scores/Negative Reason Codes/V.9, Helpful Links,
Anonymous’s Reason Statements Thread,
iv's friendly statement to reason statement concordance,

ccquest’s Workbook to calculate metrics.
Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Revolver - 8,9; Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Account - 5/4/2.
Correct Ag.Util. under 5% all times. (Oldest/avg varies. Estimates above.)
Real world mortgage maxes are: EQ5-818, TU4-839, EX2-844.

(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
AllZero
Super Contributor

Re: BBT CLI experience

Congratulations on your CLI!

Message 2 of 36
AllZero
Super Contributor

Good luck on getting the 2nd inquiry coded as soft pull.

Message 3 of 36
blindambition
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the CLI. The horror stories I've read about BB&T... Good Golly!! 🤦‍♂️ 

Message 4 of 36
Gmood1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on the CLI.

The double pulls suck I know. But certainly not the end of the world.

I've had this happen with several lenders.

Your credit profile looks strong. IME, that extra inq won't have any bearing on your next app.

If they deny you for duplicate inqs. They were going to deny you any way.

Just not worth wasting time or sleep over IMHO.

I've played with a few prequals over the last couple of days.

Even with double digit inqs on the reports those lenders pull.

I still pre-qualified for the best rates, two banks out of the three I tested.

Inqs just don't hold the weight, that a lot of folks have been led to believe.

Message 5 of 36
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Thanks for the heads up

3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>12/2020 CCT EX 821 TU 826 EQ 840

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find:

- One forty-five caliber automatic
- Two boxes of ammunition
- Four days' concentrated emergency rations
- One drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine,
vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills
- One miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible
- One hundred dollars in rubles
- One hundred dollars in gold
- Nine packs of chewing gum
- One issue of prophylactics
- Three lipsticks
- Three pair of nylon stockings.

Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

Major Kong (Slim Pickens) in Dr. Strangelove 1964
Message 6 of 36
NimbusIII
Frequent Contributor

Wow what a difficult experience, glad you got something out of it at least. 

“The man who says he can, and the man who says he can not… Are both correct.”
Message 7 of 36
Birdman7
Super Contributor

In a way it’s my fault because I should’ve re-froze my credit report first. But still it happened and it shouldn’t have and I shouldn’t have to go through this.

@Gmood1 yes in the grand scheme of things, you are correct. But it pisses me off. And having a hard pull under 12 months does make everything more reactive as well. Little bit of difference, really doesn’t mean anything anyway tho. But I’m a bulldog; it took me eight months to get it re-coded last year, and I bet I get this one re-coded as well.

It just kind of screwed up my strategy because I have a new lender that I wanted to ask for a CLI and now when I go there and they see two recent inquiries from the same lender, they’ve gotta scratch their head. I would.

And if it’s automated it could have an effect. But hearing your story of having double digit inquiries and still receiving such fantastic offers is definitely encouraging.

In the end, you’re correct, my profile is strong enough that it doesn’t matter, but it still ticks me off. Lol.
-Scoring wisdom: Credit Scoring Primer, Payment History, Amount of Debt, Length of History/New Credit, Mix/Disputes/Freezes/Searches, Mortgage Scores/Negative Reason Codes/V.9, Helpful Links,

Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Revolver - 8,9; Clean/Thick/Mature/No New Account - 5/4/2.

(Everything said is JMHO and is not endorsed by FICO or MF. I have no affiliation with either, just a grateful member.)
Message 8 of 36
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Birdman7 wrote:
 but it still ticks me off. Lol.

Well they are a different Bird as far as my banking experience is concerned,  but I'd rather have 2 hp's for $12k than the smooth move of Cap1 Triple pull for $500.  I have 9 hp's from Cap1 total that doesn't amt. to your $12k...tsk tsk.....so to me a celebration is in order.  CONGRATS!  Also, thank you for sharing cuz you taught us something about the process with this special(?) Bank. 

"My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home"
Message 9 of 36
Birdman7
Super Contributor

@GApeachy You do you have a way of putting things in perspective don’t you?

Lol. That’s why I refuse to do business with capital one! 3 HPs my fanny. NOT unless it was the PCM card!

Don’t get me started on the banking experience. If you don’t have a transaction every six months they mark your account inactive and will return any checks you write.

You have to go into a branch and show ID to remove the inactivity marker. So beware if you have a depository relationship. That’s why we no longer have a depository relationship with them.

I’m definitely happy about the approval though, I would’ve been really bummed had they not approved it after double pulling.

Now I’m wondering if I should’ve asked for more LOL. But I figured 6X was enough for one step. Very old account though, should’ve had a lot of CLIs along the way.

Hoping after they convert we will have some better options.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.