Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBVA Compass pre-qual mailer--approved UPDATE-DP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBVA Compass pre-qual mailer--approved UPDATE-DP

Updated to add data points: just received "cost of credit" letter and they provided / used Experian FICO 9 and get this, Experian Vantage 3.0!!! Mine were 691 and 682 respectively. Approved for $3.1k so if anybody gets the mailer and you're interested this is what they looked at in my case.

Going to bed with one more credit card approval than I planned when I woke up! Got Informed Delivery notice of a BBVA Compass pre -qualified mailer arriving today, mulled it over all day. Got home, temporarily lifted Experian freeze and pulled the trigger. Cell phone had no charge, so I didn't get the texted verification code they sent. Instant denial for: unable to verify identity.

Called in, waited forever for a live CSR. Got a nice one who checked and found they didn't have a record of me applying (weird eh?) And advised that I should apply by phone. Transferred me to that dept, the phone rang three times and disconnected. I tried again on line using well charged phone, verified code and finally got approved with a $3100 SL (my highest SL so far) I hope I don't end up regretting this--their reviews online aren't great. 

I figured I'd pick travel as my 3% cat and home improvement as the 2% one and Delta Sky Miles Gold and Home Depot cards can wait until 2020 when my file is cleaner and I don't have 11 new accounts in 12 months

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: BBVA Compass pre-qual mailer--approved

Congrats. Dont believe every bad review lol, most just find a reason to ventSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My BBVA approval process took almost 30 days but I wound up with a $10k SL and my experience with them has been just fine so far.  The look of the car is underwhelming but I can't complain about BBVA Wallet or the main BBVA website.

Message 3 of 10
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your approval! Time to enjoy the garden!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool story (I love Informed Delivery!) & Congrats! wdm on a sweet approval. 

Message 5 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Going to bed with one more credit card approval than I planned when I woke up! Got Informed Delivery notice of a BBVA Compass pre -qualified mailer arriving today, mulled it over all day. Got home, temporarily lifted Experian freeze and pulled the trigger. Cell phone had no charge, so I didn't get the texted verification code they sent. Instant denial for: unable to verify identity.

Called in, waited forever for a live CSR. Got a nice one who checked and found they didn't have a record of me applying (weird eh?) And advised that I should apply by phone. Transferred me to that dept, the phone rang three times and disconnected. I tried again on line using well charged phone, verified code and finally got approved with a $3100 SL (my highest SL so far) I hope I don't end up regretting this--their reviews online aren't great. 

I figured I'd pick travel as my 3% cat and home improvement as the 2% one and Delta Sky Miles Gold and Home Depot cards can wait until 2020 when my file is cleaner and I don't have 11 new accounts in 12 months

Congrats on the great approval, @Anonymous!  screamer.gif

I had deposit accounts with Compass years ago and I'll admit my experience with them back then wasn't stellar (due to no fault of my own, I might add...) so I was also skeptical when it came to taking them up on the pre-approval.

I'm glad I did, though... things have actually been quite pleasant this time around. Smiley Happy

Everything generally works as advertised, but there are a couple of minor things to be aware of.  First, this is the only credit card I have that if I want to push a payment using my bank's bill pay they send a paper check - and this is with two separate banks (Wells Fargo and USAA), so the hangup is apparently with Compass.  This is solved by allowing them to 'pull' the payment - which works just fine - but their app and web interfaces leave room for improvement; the first time I made a payment I didn't think it had worked (when I tried a second time I got an error that a payment was already scheduled, so kudos for that at least).

The other thing isn't a big deal, but more of an annoyance... when purchases post, you get your 1x points right away, but the bonus points take a few more days to 'catch up'; sometimes just a couple of days, but at least once it was nearly a week.  In the end I always get all the points I am due, but it is a bit 'clunky' how they handle it.  That said, in a week or so they will be revamping how rewards are redeemed (the website), so it's possible by the time you get around to making a redemption this will be a moot point anyway.

Hope some of this helps... again, congrats on the approval!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Everything generally works as advertised, but there are a couple of minor things to be aware of.  First, this is the only credit card I have that if I want to push a payment using my bank's bill pay they send a paper check - and this is with two separate banks (Wells Fargo and USAA), so the hangup is apparently with Compass.  This is solved by allowing them to 'pull' the payment - which works just fine - but their app and web interfaces leave room for improvement; the first time I made a payment I didn't think it had worked (when I tried a second time I got an error that a payment was already scheduled, so kudos for that at least).

The other thing isn't a big deal, but more of an annoyance... when purchases post, you get your 1x points right away, but the bonus points take a few more days to 'catch up'; sometimes just a couple of days, but at least once it was nearly a week.  In the end I always get all the points I am due, but it is a bit 'clunky' how they handle it.  That said, in a week or so they will be revamping how rewards are redeemed (the website), so it's possible by the time you get around to making a redemption this will be a moot point anyway.

Hope some of this helps... again, congrats on the approval!  Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Uncle B! Smiley Happy I still haven't figured out my credit union's bill pay so I'm ok with pulling the payment from BBVA rather than pushing from my credit union.  And it seems like I saw a LOT of folks in the online reviews mention how the rewards system is set up. It really sounds very similar to the US Bank Cash+ rewards.  Although US B's cash back rewards post at the same time, they do it in segments the 1% portion of the reward (ex: $100 utilities at 5% only $1.00 on first line) first and the then bonus category  3/5% ones next (then additional 4%,  $4.00 on second line). So I'm thinking I'll be ok with this too, I'm kinda used to the clunky method of redemptions.  Gotta admit though, Discover It has me spoiled, I LIKE the way their cashback is rewarded and paid out immensely. 

I have to admit though I was a little iffy on calling when I experienced a glitch while applying. I almost let it just stand as a denial, and I'm so glad I didn't.  First, because I didn't know (nor did the rep who answered) that getting that online pop up saying, "we're sorry we can't issue you a card at this time due to : unable to verify identity" wasn't a REAL denial, and that at that point they hadn't even pulled my credit report. Everything I read online points to that being an actual denial and one having to wait 180 days to reapply. That's even what the VERY NICE CSR (another thing all the reviews said, that calling them was basically like calling hell, you'd get "demons" trying to NOT help you on the phone---totally opposite, she was way beyond pleasant) said too, that I'd have to wait 180 days.  When I explained that due to my phone being uncharged, the code they sent expired and the web browser timed out, I wasn't actually DENIED for credit reasons, she tried to put me through to do the app with a different department on the phone, and that call disconnected, so I figured if somehow that DID cost me a HP I was gonna keep trying. GLAD I did, it worked out, and gave me a hint of what to expect if I ever have to call them. They're really not as bad as the reviews said, so I'm hoping all of my experiences with them will be as pleasant.

Message 7 of 10
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Congratulations!

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 8 of 10
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

I've not yet had to deal with their customer service but I've had no problems so far. I received the mailer, applied online and received my highest CL ever ($11,300) so... their OK in my book! 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this same Mailer for the BBVA Compas Clearpoints but im in the garden for a while

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.