Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BECU Visa $20k

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

BECU Visa $20k

I haven't been approved for any new credit for quite a while, presumably because my utilization is high.

I joined BECU the other day, but wasn't planning to apply for any credit until my scores were up and my utilization down.

After reading some posts here, with people getting Visa card approvals with TU scores lower than mine, I decided I might give it a shot.  I figured if asked what credit limit I would like, I would go for a low number so as not to scare them off.

The online application was shorter than average, and didn't ask me for a requested starting limit.

I submitted it, and after maybe 30 seconds it came back instantly approved for......  $20k.  I was shocked.  And even skeptical. I won't really believe it until I see the account up there.

I guess where the $20k comes from is that that's around my average reported credit limit.  I guess BECU is really going all out to be competitive.  If this is for real, I'll be a very good customer.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 48
47 REPLIES 47
SUPERSQUID
Valued Contributor

Re: BECU Visa $20k

CONGRATS !!!!!

Do mind sharing your scores at time of app?

{ BK7 DC 12/2019 } target 1600/ kohls Visa 7000/ discover IT cb 6500 / 2nd discover IT cb 6000/mercury 4100 / firestone 2800 /legacy 3000 /first savings bank cc 3000/ cap1 QS 5000/ cap 1 savor one 3100 /Bread rewards Amex 4k, Penfed PCR signature visa 10k/ penfed gold 7.5k NFCU >signature visa cash rewards 21700/bread cashback amex 8000

>/ nfcu platinum 15k, BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES !!!!!
closed-- reflex, applied bank, first digital, mission lane, ikea, fingerhut, big lots, valero gasoline, ollo, more to come
Rebuilding since September 2020
who i burned - chase, cap 1, TD bank, Sync, were the biggies
Income 40k
Total utilization around 20 pct depending on my current usage/needs
Ficos in the 680 - 690 range, the 9's slightly higher than the 8's
My vantage scores 708 - 711
TCL - about 110k
Retired since 2017
Message 2 of 48
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

Congrats on that great approval. Amazing how our more local credit union is getting quite a good rep here. They are fantastic to work with that I can say for sure. And I know we could get a much higher credit limit as well but at this point, I can't get myself to do it because we may be running $250 through the card now when it used to be 3 to 5k a month. I guess I should consider it for utilization padding. Not that comfortable with that approach yet. Always was taught only to ask for what you think you will need and not more.

Message 3 of 48
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

CONGRATS !!!!!

TU FICO 8 in neighborhood of 740.

Message 4 of 48
Crowhelm
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

CONGRATS !!!!!

lol, that does make me curious, because I am at 792, my wife is actually 804 with TU Fico 8. Maybe I should ask for a CLI. By the way, did you apply for the cashback or the regular visa?

Message 5 of 48
Rebuild2019
Valued Contributor

Congratulations 🎊🎈🎉 on your approval and SL.

CARDS: Discover It | Kohl’s | Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards | Truist Bright | CITI Custom Cash | Chase Freedom Flex | Chase Amazon Prime Visa | VACU Cash Rewards Mastercard | Sam’s Club Mastercard | PenFed Gold Visa | NFCU CashRewards | NFCU More Rewards | NFCU Platinum Visa | AMEX BCE | Verizon Visa | Wells Fargo Active Cash | Amazon Prime | NFCU Auto Loan
Starting Scores 05/2019: EQ:519, EX:525, TU:574

CLOSED : Capital One Quicksilver One | OpenSky |
Message 6 of 48
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@ SJ Congratulations on your BECU approval

Message 7 of 48
Trini88
Established Contributor

Congratulations!!!!🥳🎉

Goal Cards:
Message 8 of 48
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Crowhelm wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@SUPERSQUID wrote:

CONGRATS !!!!!

lol, that does make me curious, because I am at 792, my wife is actually 804 with TU Fico 8. Maybe I should ask for a CLI. By the way, did you apply for the cashback or the regular visa?

1. Lots of folks seem to be reporting CLI's from BECU the last few days, even auto CLI's, so yes this would be a good time to go for it.

2. I went for the low interest, non-rewards card.  I don't really have use for any more rewards cards. I already have too many considering how little I spend.

Message 9 of 48
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's terrific!! Congratulations on your BECU Membership & Approval!! 🥂🎉👏🏻

Message 10 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.