Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BJ's Wholesale Club MasterCard

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BJ's Wholesale Club MasterCard

I had the best kind of credit card approval this morning...the surprise kind!!

Went into BJ's to sign up for a membership (we used to have one, but it's been a few years). While there filling out the forms, the clerk was telling us about their rewards MasterCard (obviously trying to get us to apply). As she was going over all of the rewards and perks, I was thinking to myself 'that really does sound like a good card', but I wasn't going to waste a hard pull for what I assumed would be a denial. Well, a few minutes later (after she entered all of my information), she said 'are you sure you don't want the Perks MasterCard? It's telling me that you're already pre approved'. Well, in that case...heck yeah! I don't know what the credit limit is yet (guess I have to wait for the actual card), but I was able to use the 'temporary card' printout to pay for my purchases today.

So, I walked out of BJ's not just with some groceries, but a new MasterCard account! And, it may have only been a soft pull because she only asked for the last 4 of my social. Does anyone know for sure? 

Figured I would share my good luck story. Also, I wasn't aware that BJ's had a MasterCard or that they could offer a pre approval in store, so I wanted to put that info out, too.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: BJ's Wholesale Club MasterCard

Congrats Kjohn1. I believe the MC is issued by Comenity bank. If this is true just becareful with too many inquires around this as sometimes their visas and mc's invite more scrutiny. Just a heads up, not saying anything will happen but its Comenity, you knowSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks AJC!

Message 3 of 9
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Yes be very careful of Comenity backed Mc and visas but congrats could you also give us some data pts plz
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Aduke1122 wrote:
Yes be very careful of Comenity backed Mc and visas but congrats could you also give us some data pts plz

Sure! Scores low 630's across the board. Inquiries 12-13. Several baddies, all older than 2 years. Utilization 22%. 

So, what exactly is the 'danger' with Comenity Mastercards? Now y'all have me concerned!

Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

You should be ok, its just some people who fell in love with SCT cards and get too many and then try and get the visa or mc would end up getting it only to be closed down like a week later, and some all of the cards closed. This could be a small percentage of cardholders out there, but from we saw in our little world has left a somewhat bitter taste in our mouths for Comenity.

Just use your card normally,pay it well, and enjoy.

Ps, but now at least you are conscious of getting too many Comenity accountsSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
You should be ok, its just some people who fell in love with SCT cards and get too many and then try and get the visa or mc would end up getting it only to be closed down like a week later, and some all of the cards closed. This could be a small percentage of cardholders out there, but from we saw in our little world has left a somewhat bitter taste in our mouths for Comenity.

Just use your card normally,pay it well, and enjoy.

Ps, but now at least you are conscious of getting too many Comenity accountsSmiley Wink

Thanks for the heads up! This is my 4th Comenity account (already have PayPal credit, Wayfair, and Overstock). Hopefully that's not too many accounts for them...

Message 7 of 9
mavric
New Contributor

The great part about the BJ's , 3% back at BJ's [ or 5% back for there high end membership BJ's MC] They have 2 of them.  and 10cent a gallon OFF gas price.

We shop a lot at BJ's.   Buy gas atlease 4-5 times month.       

I got turn down for the MC,   Wife got a $3500.cl  when she applied so she just added me as a AU.   

BTW... 90 day's post CH 13 DC ,  scores around 650  This is the only card i have been turn down for.  My rebuid has been very easy

Message 8 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I think 4 is good for now, lol, remember diversificationSmiley Happy. I got 3 Comenity accounts including PPC and dont envision opening anymore. It would have to be a really great card but even then .
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.