cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BK7 - 6 yrs removed included Amex?!? APPROVED!

tag
risingup2day
Regular Contributor

BK7 - 6 yrs removed included Amex?!? APPROVED!

Backstory I was young and dumb, made some mistakes that my wife and I ended up filing for bankruptcy in August of 2014 - BK7 discharged 12/14. A number of creditors were included. American Express, Citibank, Chase, Barclays, Etc... were among them. Right after my bankruptcy, I started searching the internet for more and more information and knowledge about credit, how to build credit, the "do's and do not's" and "How to rebuild ones credit". What do you know, I found this place. So much knowledge and real life experiences. From the painful stories of bad situations to the successful stories of overcoming the past mistakes! So much to be learned and gained from everything in these forums. So if you are about to file and just got done filing and looking for hope, you found it within these forums... please soak in the knowledge and understand your path will be unique, but you will get to a place where you are happy.   

Bored at home and reading a ton of stuff regarding American Express and Citibank. I have been eyeing them for a minute. Not that I need them, but more for "research". I was reading a ton of people timelines of getting back with some of the creditors I mentioned above... over the last 5  years, I have tried at least once to get back with them. Amex 2018 denied for prior accounts history BK7, Citibank denied due to BK, Barclays denied due to previous account in collections/Bankruptcy. Chase... 😂 I know that is a "No" if not for Bankruptcy, it will be because I am above the 5/24 rule... I am giving up on Barclays outright because to the best of my knowledge, there is no one who has included them in a BK7 has been able to gain access. If you are one that has, please let me know. 

American Express and Citibank... looking at the cards which one I could use? For Amex, it would be the Gold card... groceries and eating out 4x points...  For Citibank it was the Costco Card (even though I hate shopping there because people are so rude there, from my experiences. Occasionally, go with my best friend to pick up some stuff. Plus I prefer Sam's club because of the credit card 5% CB with Sam's club purchases and gas and the scan and go app) but I do buy in bulk to ease the pocket book. So a necessary evil 😂. This decision was easy! Amex will blacklist you... meaning if you was still on the "naughty list",  you will be denied and not take a HP! 😆 😂 Amex is also known to have a long memory.  

I jump to the website, prequalification page entered in all my details.... came back with the gold and the platinum. I was shocked that I had a prequalified... it was not a pre approval - so I took it as 20/80 again less than 6 years removed with Amex included in BK, slim chance I was getting approved. Saw their sub was 75k MR point/spent 4K in 6 months... not bad. Filled out the form... submitted... spinning wheel... 5 seconds passed and no denial, 15 seconds later still spinning... my phone starts to dim because I have my screen set to timers... at this point, I am thinking (Mod cut: not here pls even in this form) There is no way am getting.... page refreshes...

2F976213-FE6B-4A32-B70A-7A690D98CF41.jpeg

I am truly lost for words... Excited and nervous to see how I can overcome the AF. Glad I can ask everyone here for more knowledge, tips and tricks to work it in my favor or maybe I can P/C it a year later, if that's an option.  Mixed feelings right now. Part of me is happy and yet disappointed too. I can't explain it.

So here is the Dp's

BK7 Discharge 12/14

Amex was included for a few thousands

Inq 5 to 8 depending on CB

Uti across all accounts 3%
new accounts 7/24

For inquiring minds, am I going to apply for the Citibank card? I am at a place were I am content. I have the cards I use. I think I am  going to set up shop and open a fresh produce stand and take up "Gardening" and prepare for the next chapter...

Thank you all at Myfico! 

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BK7 - 6 yrs removed included Amex?!?

Congrats on your approval! 🎉 Sounds like you've had quite the credit journey.

Definitely apply to cards that make sense for you in where and how you spend your money.

Take it slow (app every 6m) and keep utilization low (~10%) and you can expect a great score just from that in no time. Keep up the great work! 👍

Message 2 of 23
Irv02
Established Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!!

Message 3 of 23
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

@risingup2day, congratulations!  Your experience gives me hope I *might* get back in with AMEX as soon as next year (when my Chapter 13) falls off my record.  The main difference here is your bankruptcy burned them "for a few thousand" while my bankruptcy burned them "for a few tens-of-thousands".  Time will tell.

Anyway, congratulations none-the-less!

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 4 of 23
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approval, great SUB! 👍 

Message 5 of 23
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex Gold approval! Thank you for sharing your story!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 6 of 23
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on getting back in the Amex door Smiley Happy

Amex will let people back in 5 yrs post BK if the burn was 10K or less, more and it could take decades.

Message 7 of 23
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Congrats on the approval!

Message 8 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approval! ...

Message 9 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.