cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Americard Approval $5k. Recon for 10k?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA Americard Approval $5k. Recon for 10k?

BofA is not U.S. Bank... they are not going to change the starting limit.

More to the point, what's your current utilization?

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dlister70 wrote:

@dlister70 wrote:

I called the recon line, and they wouldn't increase the limit stating the reason was that the account was less than 12 months old.  But that I was welcome to try again in a few days and see if I get a different answer.  It sounds like they were just requesting a normal CLI.

I called this number from the backdoor thread:

BofA: 800-354-0401 (Recon) - app100

Is there a better number to call for this sort of request?

I tried this number today:

BofA:  866-618-4585 (Sr Credit Analyst) ~corymcdd88

They said that they could put in a CLI request for me, but saw that I had just done one a few days ago with the other number.  I explained that I wasn't trying to initiate a credit line increase, I was wanting a higher starting limit.  I explained that I had done this with US Bank before, and spoke with someone in underwriting and they changed my initial limit for me.  She said that Bank of America would only change the limit with a credit line increase, and since the reason for denial was that the card was too new, she didn't think it would be any different today, but could check for me.

I told her not to check if it was just going to be a regular CLI, and asked if there was anyone who could manually review the situation, and she said no.

I appear to have hit a brick wall, and can't find any numbers for underwriting for BofA.

Does anyone else have an idea?

You called the right number and the 5K approval is taking into account your ~10K balance w/ Disco.

Approaching it a different way might yield more understanding on their part by explaining that you applied for the card to move the balance over to BOA from Disco and the approved CL isn't sufficient enough to do so.

The SR number should work for getting this done and pushing them 2-3 times MAX is about where you need to be with them before you're just wasting your time.  So, give it one more shot w/ the reasoning of moving the balance over and CL not being sufficient... don't bring up CLI at all.  Using keywords tirp auto responses in phone reps that are trying to fly through calls in queue.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the approval
Message 13 of 15
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

BofA is not U.S. Bank... they are not going to change the starting limit.

More to the point, what's your current utilization?

Overall utilization is 18%, but the Discover card that I'm wanting to transfer balances from is at 68%.

I know not all banks are the same, but I thought that it was worth a shot.  It just seemed like both of the people I talked to (on the "recon" line and the "senior analyst" line) were just regular CSRs trying to perform a regular CLI request.  It made me think that if I could just talk to someone who had the authority to do what I'm asking, I might get the answer that I'm looking for.

After receiving my second no from BoA today, I applied for the Citi Double Cash card and was approved for $7,000.  Citi also pulled Experian which is what BoA pulled and my score was 772.  I needed a 2% card anyway now that my Discover cashback match year is over, and Citi has an 18 month balance transfer offer.  Sadly, it's not a free transfer, and I'll end up paying around $170 (3%) to transfer over the $5,600 or so that is left on Discover after transfering $5,000 to the Bank of America card.  It will be the first interest that I've paid in the 2 years since I started rebuilding my credit.  But I did earn about $700 in cashback from this Discover card, so I guess I'll rationalize it by just pretending that I made less cash back and still haven't paid interest.  Smiley Happy  

Message 14 of 15
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sorry but BoA automates most decisions these days. It's hard (or impossible) to get them to override what the computer says. CLI or app denial....just goes by the computer. The "analyst" can submit a request, but if it was already denied, it will continue to be denied.

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.