cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back in with AMEX! Gold and Hilton Approval!

tag
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

Back in with AMEX! Gold and Hilton Approval!

My goal for credit rebuilding has been to get back in with Amex and it has been done. I can now garden like Thanos. 

I checked the prequalification today and got a hit on all the Delta and Hilton cards. Floored, I hit appply for the Hilton Surpass and got approved for 1k. I know it's low but it's a start. I've been studying all the rules for years so I knew that I could go for a charge card. I jumped on the Gold and also approved!! I was also high off the Apple Card approval yesterday so I thought, if I'm good enough for GS, I should be good for Amex.

I honestly could not have done it without the knowledge of this forum. 

for data points: 

I charged off two accounts with Amex in 2017. I settled the last card this year in January for 25 cents on the dollar for both accounts. Last month, I sent an email for a good will deletion. They deleted one account and changed the other to only show one Chargeoff for the month I settled. Also last month, my wife added me to her Platinum.

Income is 98k

Ex 670

Utilization 25%

one collection. $0 balance

4 charge off cards all $0 balance.

Mortgage with 14 lates from when my divorce was finalized  in 2019.(yes I remarried during the summer)

two personal loans totaling 17k

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
19 REPLIES 19
quikj9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Back in with AMEX! Gold and Hilton Approval!

Congrats on your AMEX Gold and Hilton Surpass approvals! Seems like you didn't just get back in with AMEX, but kicked down the door. 

Message 2 of 20
CreditAggie
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Congratulations on your Amex approvals!

Current Cards (in order of approval):

Current FICO 8 | 9 (February 2024):  
Credit Age:  
Inquiries (6/12/24):  
Banks & CUs:

Message 3 of 20
KingPredator
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the Amex approvals.Now treat them good and the same shall be reciprocated. 

Message 4 of 20
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

Congrats on both, nicely done!

Message 5 of 20
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Wow congrats! That's amazing that you got back in after settling and not paying in full! Any advice you can offer on the gw deletion? I paid off a charge off in full from 2016 recently and got back in with the Optima card but would love to get a deletion out of it as well. 

Message 6 of 20
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

@Ilinferno wrote:

Wow congrats! That's amazing that you got back in after settling and not paying in full! Any advice you can offer on the gw deletion? I paid off a charge off in full from 2016 recently and got back in with the Optima card but would love to get a deletion out of it as well. 

Honestly, I followed the advice I received from here. I initiated the call to settle both accounts. When I asked about the optima last month, they told me I was not qualified for it but instead I am eligible reapply. I thought that was weird. I also called the executive office, (I believe I found the number here), but the email address given to me to send the goodwill letter wasn't listed anywhere. I can share if you would like. 
In the goodwill, I did admit that I could have handled the accounts better and didn't offer an excuse. I just detailed how I plan to handle it in the future and how my financial literacy improved and that I know hold multiple investments accounts etc. I said my sole motivation to improve my credit was to become a customer of theirs again. Beyond that, it was nothing special, Just honesty. 
Go ahead and send one in! 

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 7 of 20
JustJay119
Regular Contributor

@KingPredator wrote:

Congrats on the Amex approvals.Now treat them good and the same shall be reciprocated. 

Yup!  I've learned my lesson.

Current

AU

Banking

Scores 10/15/21
Message 8 of 20
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Ok awesome that's great to hear. Email would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approvals and credit progress! 🤩

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.