Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America Travel Rewards Approval after hiccup

tag
greg_the_egg
Valued Member

Bank of America Travel Rewards Approval after hiccup

For more detailed profile info: Barclay Arrival+ Approval, but Transunion FICO: 815 after application.

This was a new app that I really had no intentions of making. I was approved for the Arrival Plus and didnt realize that the promotional 0% APR  only applied to balance transfers and not purchases. After requesting a credit line increase on an old BofA card, I noticed the offer for both the Travel Rewards and Premium Rewards cards. I compared the terms against the Arrival+ and thats when I noticed that Arrival+ didn't include the 0%. I decided on the regular Travel Rewards card because of the fee and $3,000 of the premium card. I already have to spend 3k with Barclay in less than 90 days. I applied and immediately received a message like "Sorry we can't approve you at this time...letter in the mail" or something. I pretty much thought it was denial. Received a call the next morning. Problem was that my Experian report is frozen. I asked if they check the Transunion file they reviewed for my CLI the day prior. The analyst said there was no problem with checking a file other than Experian, but he'd have to pull a new Transunion report. I agreed to proceed and was put on hold, but after a minute or so, he said the system automatically found recent report from the previous day and that he could use it. Placed on hold again for about 48 seconds or so, and the guy came back and said "Bank of America would Absolutley like to do more business with you"! [have 2 checking, 1 savings, mortgage, cash rewards card]. Said I was approved for $17k and would receive card in 7-10. He asked if I was okay with that, and because I was so shocked, I said yes. I'm certain I left plenty on the table, but I'm honestly happy about my little credit situation right now. I went from ~16k to ~60K over the course of a day. I have no plans to apply for anymore cards anytime soon. Prior to this "spree" my last application was 2012. I do plan to refinance at least one of my automobile loans that has a silly rate. 

Oh. They did end up pullitng a new TU report about 6 hours later after all. This all happen yesterday and the new card is already showing on my online account.

FICO8's: 815 - 838 (Winter '22)
5% | $196K
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America Travel Rewards Approval after hiccup

Congrats on the two approvals.  With that TU score you can literally name your SL.

Message 2 of 6
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Congrats - $17K is a decent SL for BoA and they can be very generous with CLIs if usage warrants it and/or you otherwise have a strong relationship with the bank.

It's not uncommon after 30 days to have the "Request a credit line increase" link appear online under Card Details, although following through with a request would trigger a hard pull, and for the link to reappear 90 days or less after a CLI request is made.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 6
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Congratulations

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work.. Congrats on the new card.  Great SL to. 

Message 5 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congrats OP!

Very nice SL and thanks for the details of your recon experience.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.