Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BankAmericard Credit Limit increase

tag
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: BankAmericard Credit Limit increase

+1 to what others have said about the HP.  Bite the bullet and go for it!  You've got a year's history with them, shoot for $5K.  It's likely you'll either get it or BofA will counter offer.  I have the card, tried for a CLI from $7500 to $10K and was instantly approved.  Didn't know what to expect with CLI request, so figured I wouldn't get too greedy!  $10K is fine for me, especially since I also now have a Merrill Lynch Platinum Plus from BofA as well, with another $10K CL.

Message 11 of 16
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

I asked for CLI in early Jan online. They HP TU.  Did not have any Inq on TU at the time.

I was at 8.3k, asked for 15k, they automatically gave me 10k, I called to recon, but a no go.  Account only 8 months old.  Started with 2k limit in April.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 12 of 16
kwinks
Regular Contributor

I would say ask for way more. I had a cl of 500 and after 11 monthe of having the card and pif every month, I asked for a cli of 2500 more. I figured go big or go home, the guy just asked me why I needed the increase ( I said I wanted to cl comparable to my other cards) and then within 2 seconds he said congrats we are able to give you that increase... 

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I tried. Did it online, and I asked for 2,000 total credit limit, told them I made $29,000 per year with rent of only $250 per month. They said they'd send a letter with the response within 5-7 business days.

I don't think that sounds promising. That was Saturday, and so far nothing's changed online. Should I call in and see what they say, maybe try to sway them?

Message 14 of 16
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I tried. Did it online, and I asked for 2,000 total credit limit, told them I made $29,000 per year with rent of only $250 per month. They said they'd send a letter with the response within 5-7 business days.

I don't think that sounds promising. That was Saturday, and so far nothing's changed online. Should I call in and see what they say, maybe try to sway them?

I just recently asked for a CLI on my BankAmericard on 2/01. They did a HP and pulled my TU (I'm in CA). I asked if it can be a SP, but he informed me that CLI's are always HP...YMMV. The CLI was instant. As soon as I got off the phone with the analyst, I logged on to my online account and saw the new credit limit.

I would definitely call in and speak to a credit analyst. They'll ask you a few questions about your CR, such as any delinquencies, your card utilization, etc., as well as your income, job status, and the reason you want the CLI. You have a higher chance of getting a CLI if you call in since you can explain your situation in depth. As long as you have a good account history (at the very least, a year) and you have no major derogs in your CR, you shouldn't have an issue getting an increase. I even got a letter about my request and it also included my TU FICO score.

Good luck!

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 15 of 16
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'd open a diff card; you'll prob get a much higher limit!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.