Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Aviator Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay Aviator Approved

I decided to pull the trigger on the Barclay Aviator card. Got approved, although a low SL @ $2k but it gets my foot in the door. I think I am heading to the garden now, to let these new accounts age and grow.

Message 7 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

AA credit card

Good evening myFICO community. I jist wanted to ask about an American Airlines advantage CC. Does AA solely use Citi as issuers? I fly enough each year to want to look into aiming to qual for a card. I fly about 60/40 AA to Delta. Is the Blue/Gold Delta Skymiles AX a better card to aim for? Are any really an "entry level" card so to speak?
Scores are in sig, and 3 3+ yo negatives (none seemed to hinder my approval for AX EDP/Disc Miles/ NFCU cashRewards cards.
Im still in learning mode, as to which issuers like what profile types or history/relationships, etc.
Message 1 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: AA credit card

@Anonymous wrote:
Good evening myFICO community. I jist wanted to ask about an American Airlines advantage CC. Does AA solely use Citi as issuers? I fly enough each year to want to look into aiming to qual for a card. I fly about 60/40 AA to Delta. Is the Blue/Gold Delta Skymiles AX a better card to aim for? Are any really an "entry level" card so to speak?
Scores are in sig, and 3 3+ yo negatives (none seemed to hinder my approval for AX EDP/Disc Miles/ NFCU cashRewards cards.
Im still in learning mode, as to which issuers like what profile types or history/relationships, etc.

Barclay's also issues AA card which I believe has a 60k bonus know as well.. barclarycardus.com they pull TU 95% of the time not sure if you have any experience with them, but if you have alot of new accounts recently then you will either be turned down most likely and have to ask for reconsideration.  Also as you know Citi issues the AA card as well and they usually double pull eq/exp...  It is one of their more relaxed cards, but once again somewhat account sensitive.  Citi is a bit tougher than Barclay's for most due to their UW status, but have seem people in the 650's+ get approved depending on your AAOA, dergos, etc...  Any recent dergos?  

As you mentioned Amex issues the Delta and is a fairly easy card to get as well as long as you havent had a BK recently and never burnt Amex before for money.  They pull Experian and around a 650 should land you an approval on this card as well and they pulled experian and aren't inquiry sensitive although recent derogs in last few years can seriously play a role on approval as well.

Hope this helps a bit

edit: see you have an amex card so 99% chance it would be a SP for the delta card approved or declined another thing to consider.  Based on your signature I think you have a decent chance for either the Barclay Card or the Delta Amex card and even a possibilty of the Citi card although a bit of a tougher nut to crack.. Credit is an educated guess game alot of the time as sure you are aware as people with 640's can get approved for chase cards if all stars are aligned while people with 800's also can be turned down for a chase card..

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info, very helpful. For Amex, never burned turn as ive never had their card until this week. No BK's or anything really "attention grabbing" in terms or derogs other than the 2 older negatives I mentioned.

I have heard of Barclays, but always thought they were tough in general for non card holders. I apped for 3 CC this past week (Amex/Disco Miles/ NFCU) all 3 inqs posted but accounts have not hit yet. Want sure if I should go for a 4th since I have quite a bit of travel coming up this fall, mainly AA but a couple Delta trips, figured a mileage airline card wouldn't hurt.

Message 3 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the info, very helpful. For Amex, never burned turn as ive never had their card until this week. No BK's or anything really "attention grabbing" in terms or derogs other than the 2 older negatives I mentioned.

I have heard of Barclays, but always thought they were tough in general for non card holders. I apped for 3 CC this past week (Amex/Disco Miles/ NFCU) all 3 inqs posted but accounts have not hit yet. Want sure if I should go for a 4th since I have quite a bit of travel coming up this fall, mainly AA but a couple Delta trips, figured a mileage airline card wouldn't hurt.

If you aren't affraid to recon I would personally go for the Barclay AA if the 60k sub is still alive.. It might be instant, but you certainly don't want the new accounts showing which they shouldnt have yet.. Barclay's is pretty easy actualy what is you TU 08 score currently?  660+ can usually get them obviously the higher the better 700+ ideally, but people all time in high 600's get them.. Also as stated it is possible for Citi AA as well as one of their easier cards.  Amex you wouldnt have an issue with for delta.. Really depends as anything with credit card is a gamble on applying just an educated one is all..  

What is suppressing your scores assuming they are fairly current in your signature?  What is your AAoA as well?

edit: forgot to add the nice thing about the barclay's aa card is there is no spend other then one purchase I believe and the AF which is due the first month, but dont have to spend 3k to get bonus..

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you aren't affraid to recon I would personally go for the Barclay AA if the 60k sub is still alive.. It might be instant, but you certainly don't want the new accounts showing which they shouldnt have yet.. Barclay's is pretty easy actualy what is you TU 08 score currently?  660+ can usually get them obviously the higher the better 700+ ideally, but people all time in high 600's get them.. Also as stated it is possible for Citi AA as well as one of their easier cards.  Amex you wouldnt have an issue with for delta.. Really depends as anything with credit card is a gamble on applying just an educated one is all..  

What is suppressing your scores assuming they are fairly current in your signature?  What is your AAoA as well?

edit: forgot to add the nice thing about the barclay's aa card is there is no spend other then one purchase I believe and the AF which is due the first month, but dont have to spend 3k to get bonus..

For "surpressing factors", all three CRA's say I have too high of current account balance to account starting balance (which I believe is my 50k in student loans I let sit in deferral for years, being stupid, but have started paying)... Otherwise I have under 20% utilization on all cards and 1 auto loan in good standing.  My AAoA is about 4.5 years currently as oldest is 10 and newest is 4 month (auto loan from NFCU). Current TU score is 664.

Correct on the SUB for the Aviator, its 60k miles after initial purchase + paid AF in first month. Those miles will buy my airfair for an over due honeymoon for my DW and me.

Message 5 of 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For "surpressing factors", all three CRA's say I have too high of current account balance to account starting balance (which I believe is my 50k in student loans I let sit in deferral for years, being stupid, but have started paying)... Otherwise I have under 20% utilization on all cards and 1 auto loan in good standing.  My AAoA is about 4.5 years currently as oldest is 10 and newest is 4 month (auto loan from NFCU). 

Correct on the SUB for the Aviator, its 60k miles after initial purchase + paid AF in first month. Those miles will buy my airfair for an over due honeymoon for my DW and me.

So your score is around a 670 TU?  Worse is a TU  HP where inquiries imo are overrated anyways and if your utilization is under control which it is and aren't scared to talk to an analyst/uw if you get review message then I say go for it... Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Right?  As stated it could go either way as it is the credit world. Let me know if you decide to apply.  Just depends how important those 60k miles are and if you are a gambler and don't mind a HP either way the ball bounces...  Barclay's is fairly easy to recon with as well.  Them and citi are kinda battling the AA card for members so that might be on your side as well with either lender as they are trying to get market share for AA customers

Message 6 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.