Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay UBER VISA

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay UBER VISA

My DW applied for the uber car today, largely to pay the cell phone bill, and get the $600 cell phone coverage benefit instead of paying $12/mo or whatever it is for the existing coverage (with higher deductibles too).  Got an instant approval, but the SL of $500 was silly.  Her last approval was something like $15000 at AMEX and Barclay comes back with $500?!?  

In reality it's plenty for paying the t-mobile bill but it did make me scratch my head a little.  Her other exposure at Barclay is an Apple Rewards with a $3750 limit which gets used RARELY, just enough to keep the account "alive".

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SweetCreditObsession
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay UBER VISA

It does seem strange. Hopefully it grows in the next few months.

(+102) | (+106) | (+151)
| TU Fico 9: ? | Exp Fico 9: ? | EQ Fico 9: ?| EQ Fico 8 Bankcard: TBA

Initial Goal: Min. 740 w/all CRAs - Met
Interim Goal: 780 w/all CRAs - Met
Current Goal(s): Min. 800 w/all CRAs
Gardening Until: ??/??/202?| Last App: 10/20/2023

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay is a strange beast.  I will confess that I have had good success with their online CDs and savings accounts.  Competitive rates and a simple, straightforward web interface.  I like that aspect of their company much more than I like their credit card lending operation.  Conversely, my favorite CC company is AMEX but I have a devil of a time navigating their High Yield Savings Acct website for some reason.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval !!!!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Voltron, it surely wasn't a monster limit in the case!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

"RARELY" using the other Barclays card like you said could be the reason for the low SL. If you're not using the other credit they're giving you, why do they think you'll use more credit here?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

ALK11, you may have a point. Wells Fargo seems to like it when we dont use the card...auto CLIs and special offers. Wish Barclays would do the same.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This **bleep** happened to my friend as well as I introduced the Uber card to my friend..with $500 instant approval. but he was also applying to other CCs the same time..not sure if the inquiries could be the cause.

I apped earlier this year with $4000 instant approval with no inquiries in recent 6 months. But in order to combine the HPs for Barclay on the same day i also apped and approved a Wyndam card at Barclay...with only $1000 CL. Pretty useless card, although a free night at their hotels.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP- You can always move all but $500 from your old account to the new Uber card to give you more spending power. If you are just keeping the other one alive with a pack of gum, then the $500 is more than adequate there.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm keeping the Apple Rewards alive just to see what happens in 2019 with the rumored Merrill Lynch/Apple connection.  Should be interesting.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.