cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Uber - Recon denied, then approved.

tag
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Barclay Uber - Recon denied, then approved.

Background story: I applied for this card 4 weeks ago. I got a security verification prompt, and I sent a copy of SSN, license, and utilities. Two weeks later, still nothing, and the snail mail did not arrive (What a nightmare!). I did not want to waste the HP, so I caved in and sent another one, in a small USPS flat rate box. Delivered this monday. Called Wednesday, was told to call again Friday (today). So I just did, and everything was finally verified, and was approved for and SL of...

$1000.

What a joke*. All that effort, for a paltry grand. I requested to be transfered to credit department. Denied. I was told that this is the "highest limit they can give", and that I have to "build history with them". The guy won't budge. Fifteen minutes later, I called the backdoor number, and asked for a recon. If I recall it, he said he can try to initiate a CLI**. I asked for at least 5K (because, Visa Siganture — which I hope I get without re-requesting a card). He asked me income questions, as well as card usage and balances. In the end, I was approved for...

$7500.

I am a bit happy. Just a bit, because this is my smallest limit card, next to my very first card (current limit at $6250). Still, it was a good experience, after losing it on the first guy, I tried another person and won.

*This SL is smaller than the SL of my very first card. I found this insulting, and was immediately wanting to close it and not do business with Barclays anymore.

**I am not sure yet if they did another hard pull. They made the HP 4 weeks ago. I hope it would be the same pull, as I have relatively clean inquiries (just 2 on TU, 1 on EX and EQ). 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MrDFinance
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay Uber - Recon denied, then approved.

Congrats on the approval... Barclays can put up a fight but I think it's a card worth fighting for Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 11
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

Background story: I applied for this card 4 weeks ago. I got a security verification prompt, and I sent a copy of SSN, license, and utilities. Two weeks later, still nothing, and the snail mail did not arrive (What a nightmare!). I did not want to waste the HP, so I caved in and sent another one, in a small USPS flat rate box. Delivered this monday. Called Wednesday, was told to call again Friday (today). So I just did, and everything was finally verified, and was approved for and SL of...

$1000.

What a joke*. All that effort, for a paltry grand. I requested to be transfered to credit department. Denied. I was told that this is the "highest limit they can give", and that I have to "build history with them". The guy won't budge. Fifteen minutes later, I called the backdoor number, and asked for a recon. If I recall it, he said he can try to initiate a CLI**. I asked for at least 5K (because, Visa Siganture — which I hope I get without re-requesting a card). He asked me income questions, as well as card usage and balances. In the end, I was approved for...

$7500.

I am a bit happy. Just a bit, because this is my smallest limit card, next to my very first card (current limit at $6250). Still, it was a good experience, after losing it on the first guy, I tried another person and won.

*This SL is smaller than the SL of my very first card. I found this insulting, and was immediately wanting to close it and not do business with Barclays anymore.

**I am not sure yet if they did another hard pull. They made the HP 4 weeks ago. I hope it would be the same pull, as I have relatively clean inquiries (just 2 on TU, 1 on EX and EQ). 

Congrats on the approval and SL recon! I hope you get the Signature version. I wasn't so lucky. I got auto-approved for $4k. Called a minute later to recon the SL and got $10k. Received the non-signature version. I tried to upgrade it 3 times -- no go. Gave up. 

Message 3 of 11
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on your (difficult) approval!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 4 of 11
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

Congrats on the approval and SL recon! I hope you get the Signature version. I wasn't so lucky. I got auto-approved for $4k. Called a minute later to recon the SL and got $10k. Received the non-signature version. I tried to upgrade it 3 times -- no go. Gave up. 

Oh darn. I should be preparing to be disappointed yet again. You actually had it better.

Did you try to request another card and receive the same basic Visa card?

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great story, svm -- thanks for sharing.

And Congrats! on getting the win at the end of the day.

Message 6 of 11
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@imaximous wrote:

Oh darn. I should be preparing to be disappointed yet again. You actually had it better.

Did you try to request another card and receive the same basic Visa card?

You might have better luck. I’m rooting for you Smiley Happy

Request another card? Like, pretend I lost it or got damaged and ask for a replacement? No. But I doubt that’d work. Has anyone been successful doing that?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! Your hard work paid off! Congrats on your new Uber Visa! Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 11
Aspireto850
Established Contributor

OP,

As my mother would say, “if at first you don’t succeed, try try again”! Clearly this tactic worked for you!

PS: love how you have your cards grouped in your siggy... very helpful info.

Congrats

Message 9 of 11
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone!

@Aspireto850 wrote:
PS: love how you have your cards grouped in your siggy... very helpful info.

Haha, yeah. I've been experimenting on it. (Not too mobile device-friendly though. UPDATE: Now mobile friendly!)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.