Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay and AMEX love!!!!

tag
CreditResuscitation
Contributor

Barclay and AMEX love!!!!

So since I was feeling so lucky after getting a couple of cool CLI (PayPal SC and WalMart), I decided to try my luck on a few card apps. Knowing that AMEX was probably going to shoot me down, like a chicken I took the scenic route and applied for a Dillards AMEX Card instead (Hey AMEX is AMEX), and to my surprise I was approved for 1500!!! Now, any form of AMEX for me is nothing short of a miracle and usually I would've stopped there but I was just feeling so darn lucky Smiley Tongue So with that, I went for an Barclay Apple Financing Visa and they too approved me for 2000!!!! Man I tell you, I'm so happy it's almost unreal to me. I'm officially done now. I'm in the garden until it's time to purchase a home next year. ***Grabs hat and heads off to the garden*** Oh, and for anyone curious, they pulled a 736 TU score. That is all. 

Starting Score: 546
Current Score: 460
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay and AMEX love!!!!

Nice work just don't open any more accounts the first 6 mo after your Barclays
Message 2 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the approvals! I have a Dillard's Amex and have really enjoyed it. Since it's backed by GE, remember to ask for a CLI every four months. I've had mine since April of last year, and it's gone from $700 - >$6000!  Use it well, and yours might grow quicky, too. Enjoy your new cards. Smiley Happy

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 16
CreditResuscitation
Contributor

@beb86 Yeah, I heard Barclay is known for canceling cards. To make sure that doesn't happen I'm just not going to app anymore. I think I have enough cards now. 

Message 4 of 16
CreditResuscitation
Contributor

@tinuviel Thanks. Yeah that's quite a jump you've done since last April!!! Hopefully they'll be as kind to me as they have to you. We'll see. 

Message 5 of 16
TheConductor
Established Contributor

For future reference, your scores are almost certainly good enough for a true AmEx.  

Since the Dillard's AmEx is issued by Dillard's, it's not going to get you backdating, it won't start improving your internal risk score with AmEx proper, and it won't get you the perks and stellar customer service of a true AmEx card.  

Congrats on two great approvals to grow your limits, though!

I highly recommend applying for a real AmEx in 6 months or more once your new cards have aged a bit and you've bought that house.  Until then, have fun in the garden and enjoy those new cards!!

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 6 of 16
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@TheConductor wrote:

For future reference, your scores are almost certainly good enough for a true AmEx.  

Since the Dillard's AmEx is issued by Dillard's, it's not going to get you backdating, it won't start improving your internal risk score with AmEx proper, and it won't get you the perks and stellar customer service of a true AmEx card.  

I highly recommend applying for a real AmEx in 6 months or more once your new cards have aged a bit and you've bought that house.  Until then, have fun in the garden and enjoy those new cards!!

Yes, there are differences in the benefits and perks of a GE backed Amex vs. a Centurian (ie: "true") Amex card. And, I agree that the OPs scores are in range for an Amex approval. But since the OP has the Dillard's Amex, please do bear in mind that it IS eligible for enrollment in the Small Business Saturday $25 statement credit promotion -- see the Small Business Saturday thread for details. It's a great deal, so I just felt like pointing it out.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 16
HiLine
Blogger

@TheConductor wrote:

+1

I was approved for my first Amex with a 674 myFICO Equifax score.

Message 8 of 16
CreditResuscitation
Contributor

@TheConductor Point taken. And with that, I'm going to take your advice and wait before I hop back in the app game. And @tinuviel I'm going to look into that. Exactly what is it and where do I go to sign up.

Message 9 of 16
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.