cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's Surprise

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Barclay's Surprise

In general I have a good history/experience with Barclays and yes I know they get mixed reviews on Myfico. Started with an Apple $2000 CL card in 2012 which grew slow and steady to $9500, but I don't buy Apple products, the APR was high at 23.5 percent  and there were no rewards or cash-back (Barclay turned me down on the PC to Apple-rewards version).  I closed the Apple card in late May 2016.

 

December 2015 I was approved for the Barclay's Cash Forward MC with a $3000 SL, which was upgraded to $8000 in August.

 

July 2016 I was approved for the Choice Privileges Visa with a $4800 SL - asked for an immediate CLI to upgrade to the Signature Verison ($5k requirement) - Declined. I met the spending requirement for 30k bonus points in a month - after that it's getting little action. This is the surprise part, over the years I've been declined more than once for the Barclays RING card which is interesting because of the low APR, one factor that hits my wish list for a card. Saw a post on here about an approval for a new RING and said, okay why not they'll just say no.

 

Congratuations you are approved with a starting limit of $12,500 - I'm surprised !  Seems it made no difference that I have a lot of cards and a lot of inquiries, I was expecting a decline or maybe an approval with a low SL - glad to be wrong Smiley Wink

 

 

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay's Surprise

Wow! That's great! I got it today too, only a 5K SL. Nice job. What were your stats?
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay's Surprise

Congrats to you both 😀!

Message 3 of 14
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclay's Surprise


@Anonymous wrote:
Wow! That's great! I got it today too, only a 5K SL. Nice job. What were your stats?

Heh, it's your fault! I saw your post and went, why not try again Smiley Wink

 

774 - 800 - 747, 20+ open accounts, zero negs, balance on only 1 account (low interest BT) about 4% utility - a lot of inquiries which are not usually an issue getting the cards or CL's I want. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay's Surprise


@pipeguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow! That's great! I got it today too, only a 5K SL. Nice job. What were your stats?

Heh, it's your fault! I saw your post and went, why not try again Smiley Wink

 

774 - 800 - 747, 20+ open accounts, zero negs, balance on only 1 account (low interest BT) about 4% utility - a lot of inquiries which are not usually an issue getting the cards or CL's I want. 


Lol!!! Glad I was of service!

Message 5 of 14
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclay's Surprise

Yes there is something they like about your business with them Smiley Wink

 

Nice SL and Congrats!

Message 6 of 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Barclay's Surprise

Dont you just love the Fico FactorSmiley Happy

All it takes one awesome approval to inspire and then its on like donkey kong!!! Smiley Wink

Que SJ Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclay's Surprise

Awesome approval! Great CL with Barclay RIng! As we all know, Barclay can be conservative in the early years.
Message 8 of 14
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Barclay's Surprise


@pipeguy wrote:

In general I have a good history/experience with Barclays and yes I know they get mixed reviews on Myfico. Started with an Apple $2000 CL card in 2012 which grew slow and steady to $9500, but I don't buy Apple products, the APR was high at 23.5 percent  and there were no rewards or cash-back (Barclay turned me down on the PC to Apple-rewards version).  I closed the Apple card in late May 2016.

 

December 2015 I was approved for the Barclay's Cash Forward MC with a $3000 SL, which was upgraded to $8000 in August.

 

July 2016 I was approved for the Choice Privileges Visa with a $4800 SL - asked for an immediate CLI to upgrade to the Signature Verison ($5k requirement) - Declined. I met the spending requirement for 30k bonus points in a month - after that it's getting little action. This is the surprise part, over the years I've been declined more than once for the Barclays RING card which is interesting because of the low APR, one factor that hits my wish list for a card. Saw a post on here about an approval for a new RING and said, okay why not they'll just say no.

 

Congratuations you are approved with a starting limit of $12,500 - I'm surprised !  Seems it made no difference that I have a lot of cards and a lot of inquiries, I was expecting a decline or maybe an approval with a low SL - glad to be wrong Smiley Wink

 

 


Nice, it's a great card... my favorite.


Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 9 of 14
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's Surprise

Congrats. I may try for that card someday. I tried to get a PC from my Arrival + card and they said if was not possible. 


AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.