Congrats!
Message 12 of 16
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Apple Rewards Visa Approval

ThermoFlask-
Cheers and great explanation/ thread.
(Would have gone the same exact route if I had been in your shoes....)
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your approval! 👍
Message 14 of 16
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Congratulations on your approval!
Message 15 of 16
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

In my quest to reestablish credit while being blackballed by Chase, Citi, Discover(They just let me become an authorized user on my wife's card so hopefully that will change someday), and Amex(although now it looks like I prequalify for gold card), while also being shutdown by US Bank whom I bank with due to the past due balances with the aforementioned banks, I figured I would share a new approval and some data points.

I have past due closed accounts with 3 of the 4 banks above and a collection with the 4th. This will all drop of within the next 18 months. After prequalifying for the nice Ikea Visa, and increasing the limit on my express card and getting a large CLI on my Amazon card, I tried to do the same multiple times with both Cap one cards. They seem to be dead set against giving me any type of CLI or product change, even at 20% utilization.

I started researching what other cards I could get a decent SL from and wasn't likely to be blackballed from. Although I am an Android user, I saw the new apple card and saw that they started with a soft pull so I figured if I get approved, maybe I will switch back to Apple as I have a program through my phone carrier where I can turn my phone in and get a new one as long as I pay the tax. I have also been eyeing a Macbook pro.

I started dreaming about my wife getting approved too and getting a bunch of new gear(and paying it off quickly). Well, that all came crashing down when I got denied for my past due accounts. I spent the drive to work really bummed out and when I got to work, I was perusing the Apple store drooling over Macbooks. I remembered that they also offered financing through Barclays and against my better judgment, I cold apped.

2k SL instant approval, scores are below.

Time Since Negative
3 Years 2 Months
Average Account Age
5 Years 6 Months
Oldest Account
11 Years 7 Months

The worst part is now I talked myself out of financing a Macbook, so this will likely go into the sock drawer. It will still serve its purpose of opening up more available credit. I immediately closed a silly Gettington account that had a $400 limit. I would rather take a short term hit to focus on consolidating around better quality cards.

How did I do?

You do you, ThermoFlask! I am in a similar situation myself. I am blacklisted at BofA, US Bank, Citi, Chase, USAA, and PenFed. After a financial disaster, you just have to move on and find new lenders to work with. That's what I have done and it is working out great. This Apple Barclay Visa may not be ideal right now, but it's a free card that gives you a free FICO each month. It does offer some rewards in the form of iTunes gift cards as well, if I remember correctly. And this card will lead to you getting other, much better cards. You just need some time.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.