Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard - recon approved with shaky file

tag
LavishSpending
Valued Member

Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard - recon approved with shaky file

Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard

Approved $1K SL

$0 AF. 2 points per $1 gas, groceries, utilities. 1 point per $1 other.

FICO Score 8 612-617

Rep said they checked TU, but I'm unsure which score. TU Score 8: 617 / TU Bankcard Score 8: 621 / TU Bankcard Score 4: 632

1 old unsatisfied judgment, 1 recent small medical collection

Applied online. Got the message about having to wait 7-10 for mailed results. Called recon line next day and got reversal to approved status. Rep asked about income and job details (what I do), and I shared that and some extra info without prompting about my career history. Rep asked why credit history is only 4 years old. Oldest TL is a secured Capital One Platinum (standard rebuild story, low SL, got auto CLI to max $750). I also have a First Progress Secured $300. I told the rep the truth that I had issues in the past, so I closed all my CCs not thinking about TL age and AAoA at the time. I even shared I had some past dues even though that's all gone off the CBR, but I didn't elaborate. I explained I've been using the credit I have responsibly, but now I want a rewards card.

We shifted focus to the Cap1 history that does show. I explained how I charge a lot, but I typically pay it down to or near $0 because I learned to keep away from the max limits. I always make large payments in the hundreds or in full. Never miss payments, no CC problems, no CC apps for years, waited waited waited and built a new positive history. We talked about that I don't actually need the extra LOC as much as I want a rewards card. I was quick to give examples of how I use my cards to illustrate that it's about functionality as a consumer and that it's not because I'm dependent on credit. I gave an example of how the Kroger gas points (loyalty card only) I get are so cool, and I'm ready for a CC that does something more for me.

I can tell the rep was trained to dig in and evaluate risk but to also not lose a potential good new customer. I was quick and sharp on the points and let him know I'm on top of the credit stuff now despite the bad history. I let him know what I want and why I deserve a chance. He made a great decision.

Next stop: Call Cap1 recon and put a hold on that QuicksilverOne app. We're going to have to talk regular Quicksilver with no AF now that they have some competition with this Barclay approval.

current limit and opened as of 12/20 - $104.25K cc TCL
AMEX BCP $26K 7/17 | AMEX BBP $19.5K 10/17 | AMEX Amazon Business Prime $12K 12/20
Cap1 QS $9.5K 7/17 | Chase FU $15.5K 8/17 | Amazon Prime Visa Sig $9.5K 10/17
PayPal Cashback MC $6K 12/20 | Barclaycard Rewards $5.5K 9/16 | Cap1 QS1 $750 9/16 (closed)
BB Visa $750 (closed) 8/16 | Cap1 Platinum Sec $750 (keeping oldest) 1/12 | First Progress Platinum Sec $300 6/14 (closed)
PNC $25K LOC | Payoff $25K loan - paying these down and keeping cards near $0
FICO 8 772 12/20 | 742 09/17 | 617 09/16 | ~540 in prior years
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard Rewards MasterCard - recon approved with shaky file

Congrats on your rebuild and approval! 🎉 Seems you are headed in the right direction! 

*added- nice job on your recon as well!!!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.