Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard at last!

tag
arthompson3529
New Contributor

Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard at last!

I've been re-building my credit for awhile, and I am happy to be in the category of GOOD credit.  For the longest time, I had my MC debit card, 2 old subprime First Premier cards and that was it.  How could I build credit on that.  I have an old charge off (removal from CR approved) and a student loan on my credit report along with the old information still there from an rehabbed student loan (bad description being removed from report as well).  I built up my credit score by being on-time and keeping low balances on my FP cards.  All for this:

In the last few months, I was approved (HP a few months ago) for a Discover IT with a $5,500 limit; an AMEX; a Victoria's Secret Card (easy to get); and AT LAST the Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard with a $1,500 limit.  I have rewards on three of these cards, and that was one of my goals.  Rewards cards and an increased credit score.  I realize my credit score will take a slight hit with the HPs I'll receive for the AMEX and the Barclaycards, but because I keep my balances so low and pay off my AMEX every week, I am not worried about the score going back up after a slight hit.  

I wish I'd understood credit when I was younger.  It would have made life a lot easier, BUT, we live and learn.  I'm very proud of myself!  

FICO EQ 682, FICO TU 685, FICO EX 677 (each lower because of the Discover IT hard pull and new account) 

In the garden as of 07/15/14 - a baby seedling
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard at last!

Congrats Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 11
FlawlessShineAutoSpa
Established Contributor

Congrats.... Continue Success in The World of Credit Cards!

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $2000 •• Cap1 Venture One $10K
Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $1500 •• Chase Freedom Visa $3500
Cap 1 Quicksilver Visa $5000 •• Cap 1 Quicksilver Mastecard $2000
Syncrhrony $1500 •• Citi Double Cash $1700 •• Cap1 Spark Classic $2000
Credit One Visa $500

Message 3 of 11
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@arthompson3529 wrote:

I've been re-building my credit for awhile, and I am happy to be in the category of GOOD credit.  For the longest time, I had my MC debit card, 2 old subprime First Premier cards and that was it.  How could I build credit on that.  I have an old charge off (removal from CR approved) and a student loan on my credit report along with the old information still there from an rehabbed student loan (bad description being removed from report as well).  I built up my credit score by being on-time and keeping low balances on my FP cards.  All for this:

In the last few months, I was approved (HP a few months ago) for a Discover IT with a $5,500 limit; an AMEX; a Victoria's Secret Card (easy to get); and AT LAST the Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard with a $1,500 limit.  I have rewards on three of these cards, and that was one of my goals.  Rewards cards and an increased credit score.  I realize my credit score will take a slight hit with the HPs I'll receive for the AMEX and the Barclaycards, but because I keep my balances so low and pay off my AMEX every week, I am not worried about the score going back up after a slight hit.  

I wish I'd understood credit when I was younger.  It would have made life a lot easier, BUT, we live and learn.  I'm very proud of myself!  

FICO EQ 682, FICO TU 685, FICO EX 677 (each lower because of the Discover IT hard pull and new account) 

Congrats on your approval Smiley Happy

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 4 of 11
toi34
Established Contributor

@arthompson3529 wrote:

...that we do! Congrats!

Message 5 of 11
arthompson3529
New Contributor

My slight concern is that they'd reconsider the approval when the AMEX HP and account end up on my credit report.  That and the VS (soft pull shopping card trick).  

I have read that they are picky about new credit lines.  Is there a chance they may reconsider the approval and take it away? 

I got it for the rewards and to help build better credit.  I keep my utilization low.  The old FP cards have 0 balance.  My AMEX is paid as I use it.  The Victoria's Secret has $40 on it.  My Discover is at less than 20% utilization.  

In the garden as of 07/15/14 - a baby seedling
Message 6 of 11
MT936
Established Contributor

Awesome congrats keep up the good work
Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $25,000 | Navy FCU Cash Rewards: $25,000 | Discover It: $20,500
Chase Freedom: $12,500 | Citi Double Cash: $10,000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards: $8,000

Message 7 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 11
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS to you and don't beat yourself up over not knowing. You know now and you're on the road to building great credit!!!

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.