cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Arrival+ approved after 7 days!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays Arrival+ approved after 7 days!

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm interested as to why the Arrival+ makes sense to a credit pro like you given that it's just a 2% back card in disguise and limits you to only travel redemptions. Is it that none of your other travel cards get 2x points on every purchase with no FTF?

haha I am very much not pro yet Smiley Happy The main reasons I wanted to try this one out are that I didn have a Mastercard with no Foreign Transaction Fees, any card at all with chip + PIN (nearly every USA-issued CC is chip + signature only, very few even have an option for setting a PIN), and I wanted to see how it fares for using on non-bonus stuff day-to-day to redeem for travel expenses later.

As it is, I plan to keep CSP indefinitely (unless I can somehow finagle my way into the rumored new higher tier Sapphire card) for UR portal access, as well as primary insurance on rental cars, trying out AMEX PRG to see if it makes sense long-term and in conjunction with Platinum perks, and hoping that SPG somehow becomes a Chase Marriott so that I can split it for free CLI on CSP and FU. 

In other words, I am really at a beginning stage of figuring out what combo of travel/hotel/etc cards works best for me so I'm just trying out everything that seems like it could make sense. Chip + PIN is probably the biggest reason for an Arrival+ because American people run into problems fairly regularly trying to pay for things in Europe where PIN is the standard, and many places (especially un-manned kiosks/machines) do not accept signatures for EMV cards.

Message 11 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

In other words, I am really at a beginning stage of figuring out what combo of travel/hotel/etc cards works best for me so I'm just trying out everything that seems like it could make sense. Chip + PIN is probably the biggest reason for an Arrival+ because American people run into problems fairly regularly trying to pay for things in Europe where PIN is the standard, and many places (especially un-manned kiosks/machines) do not accept signatures for EMV cards.

I see, that's the part I miss. Only been to Europe twice, so there's no need for the PIN. WRT your wondering about how Arrival+ fares for day-to-day accumulation, it's pretty weak IMO...2x points worth 1 cent always isn't anywhere near as good as 2x points in a true rewards system. I'd stick to using it for the PIN and RewardsBoost (they have so many merchants!) but unsure if those justify the annual fee.
Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I see, that's the part I miss. Only been to Europe twice, so there's no need for the PIN. WRT your wondering about how Arrival+ fares for day-to-day accumulation, it's pretty weak IMO...2x points worth 1 cent always isn't anywhere near as good as 2x points in a true rewards system. I'd stick to using it for the PIN and RewardsBoost (they have so many merchants!) but unsure if those justify the annual fee.

Haha thanks! yeah you may very well be right. Maybe i'll just get the sign-up bonus, then mostly SD it outside of Europe. GF wants to visit a bunch of places there so I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a card that "should" work everywhere.

Message 13 of 27
arn0822
Valued Member

Great

Started establishing business credit 08/2021.
AMEX Amazon Business Prime | AMEX Lowes 4PROS| FNBO | Quill | Uline |Grainger | Floor & Decor | ExxonMobile | Capital One Sparks Business | Amazon Business Credit Net 30 | Amazon Net 55 | Office Max/Office Depot
Message 14 of 27
arn0822
Valued Member

Good info

Started establishing business credit 08/2021.
AMEX Amazon Business Prime | AMEX Lowes 4PROS| FNBO | Quill | Uline |Grainger | Floor & Decor | ExxonMobile | Capital One Sparks Business | Amazon Business Credit Net 30 | Amazon Net 55 | Office Max/Office Depot
Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

So apparently my regular Arrival is also chip and PIN. Totally didn't know that. @wanderingbuilder I would just get the bonus then PC to the normal Arrival before the second AF hits. You'll be able to redeem the points for $25 too then instead of $100...
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@Anonymous apparently my regular Arrival is also chip and PIN. Totally didn't know that. @Anonymous I would just get the bonus then PC to the normal Arrival before the second AF hits. You'll be able to redeem the points for $25 too then instead of $100...

wait really?? When i was researching, it seemd like to get the 'chip & pin' you needed the Plus!

Is the normal card also no FTF? If so, you're totally right... got the AF waived for this first year, but definitely will PC to the normal Arrival if it has a PIN and no FTF!!

Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought the same, that only the Plus had the PIN. But I saw the list here and checked my account. http://milecards.com/6084/3-full-chip-pin-credit-cards-with-no-fees
I need to confirm this by setting it up, I see the option on Barclaycard website under the card but I'll have to see if it actually goes through. I'll update you later but yes it is no FTF but only gets 2x on travel/dining instead of every purchase
Message 18 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be fine... no AF for a card that I only need for Europe is totally fine Smiley Happy

Thanks again! If you confirm that indeed it has chip + PIN functionality we're golden!

Now that you mention it, my Sallie Mae also has a PIN but I am pretty sure that I set it, and yet it's never asked me for a PIN when using it on EMV readers...

Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

EMV readers here? Our readers here are not capable of using a PIN, only signature, I believe. The card is at home so when I get off work to get the 3 security numbers I can check if I can indeed set a pin or not
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.